Phrag. Grande

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

quiltergal

Orchid Slave
Reaction score
This was a $3 rescue from a greenhouse closure 2 years ago. I was not at all sure it was going to make it at the time as it had not been watered in at least a month. With some TLC it grew and actually bloomed. It only has 2 flowers but I suspect this is it's first time blooming. Hopefully it will do better next time.

Phrag_Grande_wn_13_3_.JPG

Phrag_Grande_wn_13_2_.JPG

What a deal! No one around here has multifloral paphs or any sort of phrag. Nice flowers too. They seem a little pale or very lightly colored...

It is definitely made with wallisii. Or whatever it's new name is now. You can tell by the lighter color and the white inside of the pouch. Wallisii usually dominates with that trait in hybrids. Personally I think wallisii makes excellent hybrids and in most cases is better that the regular form of caudatum. This is a great looking Grande. You did a great job saving it. And what a deal. You are lucky to have found this plant.

The old growth that was pretty compromised when I got it are slowly dying off. That is why the growth in the front is yellow. The growth it is blooming from is a bit light. I have been growing it very bright, and not fertilizing much. Maybe I need to back off on the amount of light and pick up on the fert.

I sure do like it as the others, have to agree with Cheyenne, wallissii is involved! :drool::drool::drool:
Phrags in general are light feeders, I don't think I'd increase the fertilizer at this time. I don't think the blooming growth foliage is too light in color, I'd leave it alone.
Good job! Keep it up!

If it is indeed wallisii as a parent then its not Grande but Phrag Paul Eugene Conroy (X longifolium). Lovely flowers, next growth will kick flower butts!

Back