Phrag. Grande 'Joe Miller Cox' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Jon in SW Ohio

Reefer, the legal kind
Reaction score
This used to be the highest awarded Grande out there, but of course has been beaten in recent years. It also has some of the longest petals a Grande can get, and mine are still growing a few inches a day. It came from my dear friend and mentor Tom Cox, and is one of the plants I hold nearest and dearest.

grande4.jpg

grande1.jpg

grande2.jpg

And here's why I'm a big fan of "semi-semi-hydroponics"
grande3.jpg

Jon
________
VAPORIZERS

Last edited:
How long do the petals on this clone generally get, do you know?

Do you just stand your pots in water rather than using those S/H pots?

None of my phrags did very well in S/H

When awarded, the petals were 58cm long, but Tom said he didn't lift the plant high enough and the petals stopped growing when they rested on the plants below it...but I assured him I will let them get as long as possible without any interference. I will update with their final length when they stop growing.

I call this semi semi hydroponics as a joke. It is just an aircone pot with Hydroton as a media. No standing water at all. I just water plants planted this way every few days. It seems to dry just a couple days quicker than bark and doesn't rot. I find caudatum types hate the decomposing bacteria or byproducts therein from organic media and wet feet, so this has been a great fix for both problems.

Jon
________
My Webcams Hookup

Last edited: