Phrag. Glen Decker

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Glen Decker, Piping Rock Orchids, was one of the small group of people who were critical to the legal export of Phragmipedium kovachii and its early hybrids from Peru. In 2011, Alfredo Manrique, owner of Centro de Jardineria Manrique in Lima, Peru registered Phragmipedium Glen Decker as (Jason Fischer x kovachii). The cross is 50% kovachii, 37.5% besseae, and 12.5% sargentianum.

The parents of a Glen Decker cross determine the size, shape, and coloration of the resulting plants so there is good variability in all of these characteristics in the online pictures of Phrag. Glen Decker. My version of Phrag. Glen Decker was made by Orchids Limited as (Jason Fischer ‘Red Hawk’ x kovachii) but I don’t know which particular kovachii they used.

This is the fifth blooming of my plant. This photo was taken outside in 10:00 am sun to try and get the natural color. The flower is cupped forward modestly, limiting the NS width to 9.5 cm. If it were flat it might reach 11.0 cm. An AM-awarded Glen Decker was measured at 12.0 cm width. The lower half of my flower has always had the sharp change in coloration.

Glen_Decker.jpeg

You may not win any awards with this one, but there is a lot to love about it. I particularly love the pouch - its shape, color, texture, proportionate size. The richness of the most prevalent coloration and the overall presentation of the flower are very nice.

I’m sure Glen will be proud to look like this lol.

Is the inferior petal reflexing on inner half very time sensitive like kovachiis (opens flat then recurve after maturation)?

Very nice personally I quite like th colour break in the petels as I feel it adds to the bloom

Latest posts

Back