Phrag. Giganteum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

philoserenus

the beauty of nature
Reaction score
hey guys, i know u're probably thinking: "isnt this guy finished asking Qs yet?" sry... ^^"

i got myself one at the TAOS show on saturday (pics will follow when my batteries charge up). being 3/4 caudatum, i understand that it favours being grown with no wet feet.

i repotted it and put it into leca with no reservoir (as most of my phals and paphs love it that way). i topped it off with some moss ontop, and also making sure that it doesnt wrap around the base of the phrag since i know with the moss being too wet, i could rot off new leads that come.

now the question is, the leca tends to be be more moist than usual (i guess itz the moss ontop). will that cause a the same problem as 'sitting in water' or itz gonna be fine, just the root environment is humid than usual. i have holes on the bottom of the pot and on the side of the pot.

I grow mine with the regular S/H method. It lives with all my other Phrags in my basement, under lights, and they all get treated alike. Mine is in bloom now with 4 flowers and 1 more bud to come. It seem that every day it lookes nicer than the day before. I will post a pic of the blooms here in this thread later today.
Marilyn

heyhey marilyn, thanks ^^
b/c i was afraid that the roots might be staying a little too wet for itz liking--but it guess its all ok. i just need to give it some time to adjust. not to mention, i'm gonna hafta get it to dry off quicker b/c i'm worried about mold growing in the root area b/c there are organic material left stuck to the roots, they wouldnt come off so i didnt yank either... i hope things will work fine in a few months.

TAOS = toronto artistic orchid society, haha. no skiing!! haha, i'm happy that all the snow is gone... i've had enough of winter already. and too bad, i did make plans to go on a short trip to nyc, but it was scraped yesterday b/c things didnt turn out right

Latest posts

Back