Phrag Full Sail 'Prairie Wind' AM/AOS

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TDT

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
I took my plant to our local spring show last weekend, which this year was an AOS-judged show hosting the Canadian Orchid Congress annual general meeting.
The plant was entered as Phrag Grande 'Vista' 4N x Phrag Demetria 'Mem Don Walklet' HCC/AOS. It was pulled for AOS judging, and awarded an AM/AOS of 80 points! My first ever AOS award!! After a few emails I discovered that the cross was made by Chuck Acker, who generously allowed me to name it. I've called it Phrag Full Sail, to describe the very wide ventral sepal that frames the pouch. Cultivar name 'Prairie Wind' reflects its home location. Sure glad I purchased this plant from Chuck Taylor 5 years ago - and rescued it from rot 2 years later!!! Photo credit to our show Photographer, Pat Randall.

Phrag%20Full%20Sail_zpsy2ni3hbw.jpg

Last edited:
I hate to say this but, :eek:
I really like that, especially the fact that the synsepal contributes. May have to break down and get a brown Phrag! :p

Another fan of the synsepal. I'm usually apathetic about Phrags, but I really like this. I'm always amazed when AOS judges can manage to award anything that isn't flat and round, even when it isn't supposed to be flat and round. Now, go pollinate that with the best kovachii hybrid pollen you can get your hands on.

Now, go pollinate that with the best kovachii hybrid pollen you can get your hands on.

Sometimes there's a flower that is nice enough in its own regard that putting other pollen on it would be spoiling it! Putting kovachii anything on this just doesn't seem right, but who knows it could turn out great

Latest posts

Back