Phrag. (Fritz Schomburg x Waunakee Sunset 4N) plus genetics quizz!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

One of our next generation Phrag. kovachii hybrids bloomed. We crossed our tetraploid Phrag. Wanuakee Sunset 'Red Mimosa' to a diploid Phrag. Fritz Schomburg 'Pink Flamingo'.

Here is a picture of Phrag. Waunakee Sunset 'Red Mimosa'

Here is the hybrid (Fritz Schomburg x Waunakee Sunset)

next to a regular Phrag. besseae. Notice the size has really decreased, and is almost as big as a besseae! I don't know if this hybrid is really an improvement over either parent, but it has interesting colors, it almost looks like a "mini" Fritz Schomburg. Also keep in mind this was a first bloom seedling on a very small plant (it was already blooming in the compot), so next time the flower will improve in size and in shape.

So here is my genetics question/quizz who can tell me what the percentage of the species besseae, fischeri and kovachii are in the background of this hybrid? Keep in mind that the Wauanakee Sunset is a tetraploid so has twice the number of chromosomes compared to the Fritz Schomburg.

Robert

Waunakee Sunset (3/4 besseae) x Fritz Schomburg (1/2 besseae) = add in for Tetraploid
besseae - 62.5%
fischeri - 25.0%
kovachii - 12.5%
Yay besseae hybrids! Do I win one of these!? :D

Waunakee Sunset (3/4 besseae) x Fritz Schomburg (1/2 besseae) = add in for Tetraploid
besseae - 62.5%
fischeri - 25.0%
kovachii - 12.5%
Yay besseae hybrids! Do I win one of these!? :D

no, wrong answer... how did you get to those numbers?

Robert

I did the normal breakdown then doubled the influence of the tetraploid numbers. I am no geneticist; just an appreciator of Phrags! :)

You are on the right track...but somehow your math is wrong, I will wait for more answers before I reveal the right ones :wink:

Robert

Hmmm, the more kovachii-hybrids I see, the more I think 'kovachii is no good!'. But bess is really nice, terrific colour!

Hmmm, the more kovachii-hybrids I see, the more I think 'kovachii is no good!'. But bess is really nice, terrific colour!

Right now, I think the best of them is Eumelia Arias. Colorful, large, fragrant and easy to grow (at least mine is).

I'm sort of on the fence about kovachii hybrids in general. Flower size isn't everything. The hybrids tend to be bland in color for my taste, and the petals/sepals tend to twist and distort in suboptimal ways.

There are a few select clones of various hybrids that really outshine the rest by miles, but overall, a bit meh. The only wow factor is flower size. I'm still holding out hope that eventually we'll end up with vibrant reds and oranges, I can forgive flower shape & presentation if the color is there.

Anyway, for what it is, this flower is cute. Not exactly what I was hoping for and expecting when I clicked, but a small plant with a relatively large flower is a good thing. And the color, while pale, is interesting. The petals aren't too bad, especially if this is a photo of the bloom after it's been open for awhile. It is a bit deformed, but as Robert pointed out, it's a first bloom on a very young plant, so it's only going to get better from here on out.

I like this flower, also. The shape is uncommon, but quite symmetrical and attractive, at least to me. I like the color, also.

Seems to me that any guess is going to assume that the genetics work in perfect fractions, but they may not.

For example if I have a plant that is 50/50 kovachii/besseae, and cross it back to besseae, it is as likely that a single allele will be kovachii/besseae as besseae/besseae, isn't it?

So, a single plant from that cross, while in "average terms" might be 1/3 kovachii, 2/3 besseae, could actually be anywhere from 50/50, to 100% besseae.

In theory; but the probability that all alleles will behave the same way in a given plant is very low.

Latest posts

Back