Phrag. Fritz Schomburg vs Peruflora's Cirilia Alca

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Robert,
do you see this as further evidence that besseae and delasenroi are indeed two different species, since the progeny of the hybridization yeilded such different results?
Or is the variation within each respective cross great enough that this only represents two extremes?
Maybe we need to see a larger sample.
Was the parent Kovachii the same plant?

Robert,
do you see this as further evidence that besseae and delasenroi are indeed two different species, since the progeny of the hybridization yeilded such different results?
Or is the variation within each respective cross great enough that this only represents two extremes?
Maybe we need to see a larger sample.
Was the parent Kovachii the same plant?

The variation within each cross has been very slim, they all look pretty much the same, so in this case yes the variation within the cross was much smaller than the variation between the crosses. I personally have always been in the camp that besseae and dalesandroi are the same species, but just that dalesandroi is a subspecies or a variety of besseae, seeing this big of a difference between the two hybrids does make me believe that they are two separate species.

I think the kovachii used, were two different plants.

Robert

The Fritz Schomburg has a besseae "look" about it. The PCA has a dalesandroi "look" about it. Plus, the staminode sheilds are vastly different. I've always thought of besseae and dalesandroi as different species and this thread just helps to confirm in my mind that they are indeed different.

Very nice, Robert! Thanks for posting! You were saying there is not much variation within the crosses. I looked back at the previous pictures you posted of other Fritz Schomburgs, and to me, they look different. 'Pink Princess' and 'Prairie Rose' to me, look a lot different than 'Peach Parfait'. Maybe it's just me.

I've only bloomed a couple of Fritz Schomburgs and they were soft pink to rose pink. They did vary a bit, and from what I hear, the pink ones lean to kovachii in size and the orange-red ones are closer to besseae. So there is both a size and color spectrum. Also, using yellow besseae blooms even lighter colored flowers. I would not, however, expect the spectrum of shapes and sizes with more complex parentage.

I'm happy to see that pastel colors are possible in these first generation hybrids. Saturated colors may show up as more are bloomed out, but should be easy to get back to in the next generation at least. Pastels might have been harder to obtain. I'm happy to see the infuence of the kovachii shape too. I'm tired of people raving over hybrids that really might as well be a big red besseae.

I'm with you Kirk, esp. on your last point. Thanks Robert for the comparative post. It's refreshing to see a new "look" in the red spectrum of Phrags.

Very nice, Robert! Thanks for posting! You were saying there is not much variation within the crosses. I looked back at the previous pictures you posted of other Fritz Schomburgs, and to me, they look different. 'Pink Princess' and 'Prairie Rose' to me, look a lot different than 'Peach Parfait'. Maybe it's just me.

Actually both the 'Pink Princess' and the 'Prarie Rose' were from a different cross compared to the 'Peach Parfait', they were besseae flavum x kovachii. This Fritz Schomburg was made with a regular besseae, so that is why they look different. Within the cross of the regular besseae, all the plants looked pretty similar.

Robert

I'm happy to see that pastel colors are possible in these first generation hybrids. Saturated colors may show up as more are bloomed out, but should be easy to get back to in the next generation at least. Pastels might have been harder to obtain. I'm happy to see the infuence of the kovachii shape too. I'm tired of people raving over hybrids that really might as well be a big red besseae.

With so many excellent red hybrids out there, its nice to see a different direction in phrag breeding. BTW I like the relaxed kovachii form.

Oh my gracious, such beautiful blooms and all seem quite
consistent in form to my untrained eye. This is a very good
comparison for those of us who are learning about all the
wonderful Phrags. available and the new directions in breeding.

Latest posts

Back