Phrag. Foolerisch ?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
I also think it could be a Cardinale selfing but looking the cardinale crosses you can see that it has high dominance in the offspring... You can find the picture of the real thing in orchidweb.com

Apologize for the confusion. This is (Cardinale x fischeri = Unregistered Hybrid) not (April Fool x fischeri = Phrag. Foolerisch). Still ended up being autogamous, so it's Cardinale.

Still ended up being autogamous, so it's Cardinale.

Yeah, I don't see the slightest indication of fisheri in there; especially not as a direct parent. The flower looks just like Cardinale (taking into account the variations that are seen in a seed grown population of Cardinale.....ie: not all Cardinale look exactly like 'Wilcox') and the staminode is bang on for Cardinale. Fischeri would've had some influence on the shape/colour/markings on the staminode shield.

I've seen the same thing with besseae influence in pics of Phrag. April Fool (Cardinale x besseae). I couldn't see any besseae influence.

Is Phrag. Cardinale autogamous? I had one for a while and it never produced seedpods.

It appears to be autogamous in this case, but never tried selfing it. Not a bad idea though, because I like the similarities between Cardinale and our wild pink Cyps, and these are much easier to grow. Not great germination however; we only received six seedlings from the lab.

Latest posts

Back