Phrag. fischeri flower number 5.

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
All but one flower has self-pollinated so far. Still, the flowers hold on for a decent length of time before they fade. 'Really loving this species!

Attachments

• DSC04770-2 Phrag. fischeri b.JPG
    DSC04770-2 Phrag. fischeri b.JPG
    96.5 KB · Views: 64
  • DSC04750-2 Phrag. fischeri b.JPG
    DSC04750-2 Phrag. fischeri b.JPG
    89.6 KB · Views: 71
Over feeding calcium, hmmm. Do you suppose using K-Lite (1/4 tsp) twice a month and potting in Orchiata could
be the problem with my tiny fischeri. Can that possibly be
too much calcium?

Angela, I really don't know. I don't use K-Lite and have no idea what's in it. Also, I've never used Orchiata. Over the last year or so, I've used mostly Miracle Grow 24-8-16. I was overfeeding calcium when I used stream water AND I was adding Calcium Nitrate to my fertilizer solution. The stream water contains calcium as the stream flows over numerous limestone rock rapids. When I realized what was wrong, I continued to use the stream water; but, I completely stopped using the Calcium Nitrate. Now, I'm back to using R.O. water for daily misting and spot watering; but, each bench gets watered with stream water about once a week. The rest of the time, I use the R.O. water and because I still use stream water for some of the irrigating, I never use Calcium Nitrate any more.

If K-Lite has calcium in it....and/or if Orchiata has calcium added to it, then maybe too much calcium is what your fischeri is not happy with. I am assuming that your water is not loaded with calcium. If you use well water, it very well could be.

Latest posts

Back