Phrag. Firestorm

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

John M

Orchid Addict
Reaction score
This is the first bloom for me, of a division that I got from Phrag guy about a year ago. This plant tried to bloom twice before; but, blasted the buds. For some reason, now it's happy!.....me too!

101_0419-2.jpg

101_0425-2.jpg

Last edited:
Beautiful John! I guess i should have gotten a division of that this past spring atthe London show. Maybe Russell will have more next year.

Very nice Phrag.
I think I need to give mine more light as the blooms
tend to seem kind of washed out.

Yours looks VERY HAPPY! :rollhappy:

Congratulations!

Thanks everyone! I saw a photo of this on Russells' sales table back in April 2005 at the London, Ontario show. He had a few divisions for sale. I did not buy one; but, drooled all over his plants for two days. After the show, I just couldn't stop thinking about it and realized that this was one of those plants that haunts you because you didn't buy it. So, I wrote Russell and he still had a division left, which I purchased and he shipped to me. It was a nice, multigrowth piece, established in sphagnum moss. I have not repotted it yet; but, I think it took a while to settle down and learn to like my greenhouse conditions. I think that Russell grows under lights.

BTW Wolfdog1, in my experience, besseae and its' hybrids always have better colour when grown on the cool side. Summer flowers are never as nice as winter flowers. So far this fall, I've allowed the greenhouse to get down to the mid 50s F and only recently began putting the heater on regularly (set at 60*F). I have no doubt that the cool nights and comfortable days are responsible for the good colour. Maybe you should try to cool your plant down a bit more than usual. Good luck on getting your plant to produce more saturated red blooms!

Latest posts

Back