Phrag exstaminodium Gandalf?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

grubea

Reaction score
So I got this plant as a single growth division of Phrag. exstaminodium Gandalf. It's blooming now with two flowers. The petal length has appeared to have stopped at 10 in. Do you think it could just be too small to get the full petal length or do you think it is a cross?
Thanks
Aaron

Attachments

• IMG_20200118_180007106.jpg
    IMG_20200118_180007106.jpg
    133.7 KB · Views: 50
  • IMG_20200118_175947660.jpg
    IMG_20200118_175947660.jpg
    115.9 KB · Views: 47
  • IMG_20200118_174633526.jpg
    IMG_20200118_174633526.jpg
    150.1 KB · Views: 51
  • IMG_20200118_174748884.jpg
    IMG_20200118_174748884.jpg
    125.6 KB · Views: 46
Last edited:
I couldn't say if it's true to it's name or a hybrid, I'm not a phrag expert, I do know it takes 5-7 days for it to fully open and petals to grow to full length..it is very nice!! Love that dorsel sepal, and long petals!!

Looks like exstaminodium to me, given the lack of a staminode, but does take time for the petals to fully extend. I'd suggest growing it on to get some size to the plant and blooming it again.

Thanks it's been three days and the petals haven't gotten any longer.

Thanks. It has been three days and the petals have not grown.

Not particularly helpful to Aaron, but at the recent Paph Guild meeting, Frank Cervera expressed doubt that exstaminodium is a species distinct from humboltii. He explained that exstaminodium is a humboltii in every way, except for the lack of a staminode. He pointed out that it can only be found within the known range of humboltii. He noted that, when it was first described, it was the only Phrag species known to occur in a natural population that did not have a staminode. However, on a trip to Ecuador and Peru, Frank came across a large population of boisserianum with no staminode. In addition, at the 2017 WOC in Ecuador, he was shown a photo of a group of flowers growing along the Columbia border that included several flowers of schlimii without a staminode. Thus, he questions the species status based on a lack of a staminode.
I’m no taxonomist, but I thought this was kind of interesting.

Not particularly helpful to Aaron, but at the recent Paph Guild meeting, Frank Cervera expressed doubt that exstaminodium is a species distinct from humboltii. He explained that exstaminodium is a humboltii in every way, except for the lack of a staminode. He pointed out that it can only be found within the known range of humboltii. He noted that, when it was first described, it was the only Phrag species known to occur in a natural population that did not have a staminode. However, on a trip to Ecuador and Peru, Frank came across a large population of boisserianum with no staminode. In addition, at the 2017 WOC in Ecuador, he was shown a photo of a group of flowers growing along the Columbia border that included several flowers of schlimii without a staminode. Thus, he questions the species status based on a lack of a staminode.
Glad to see someone post that... I was contemplating doing so, but wasn't sure if anyone else would think it helpful... The fact that you did tells me that sharing was a good thing. :) . ( That fine line between blow hard and useful sharing - this looks like useful sharing :) ). Thanx

Thanks for info it is very interesting.

Latest posts

Back