Phrag. Eumelia Arias (kovachii x schlimii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Rockwool is good on the surface because it retains moisture while allowing roots to grow across the top and get air. Regarding the brown on leaves, check for thrips also.

8C47C72F-7FD9-4266-B677-A43F565A9036.jpeg 985B4619-B02B-43B9-8E8E-DFA37F29D1CC.jpeg
YEP! Mites. wow, thanks for sharing.
Wish it weren’t. I’m used to various bugs including two-spotted spider mites from growing roses, but these got away from me because they are not visible to identify even with 40x magnification. I saw them after I wiped the leaf with alcohol and looked at the swab under 60x. They were moving because of the alcohol, so I knew it was a critter, but couldn’t tell what. Suspected mites but has no idea any existed this small.
Woodstream has this exact damage on a shipment of Phrags they got from another vendor.
I took a picture thru an inexpensive microscope (that works through the Photo Booth app) of them on the leaf of
Miltoniopsis. Here it is. Not totally focused, as it was hard to keep the leaf flat and still.
I will attempt to control them with alcohol until the weather allows me to take them outside to spray Avid repeatedly.

View attachment 17811 View attachment 17812
Wish it weren’t. I’m used to various bugs including two-spotted spider mites from growing roses, but these got away from me because they are not visible to identify even with 40x magnification. I saw them after I wiped the leaf with alcohol and looked at the swab under 60x. They were moving because of the alcohol, so I knew it was a critter, but couldn’t tell what. Suspected mites but has no idea any existed this small.
Woodstream has this exact damage on a shipment of Phrags they got from another vendor.
I took a picture thru an inexpensive microscope (that works through the Photo Booth app) of them on the leaf of
Miltoniopsis. Here it is. Not totally focused, as it was hard to keep the leaf flat and still.
I will attempt to control them with alcohol until the weather allows me to take them outside to spray Avid repeatedly.
4A4E8AF1-3BFE-40DE-BCDA-901FA7633B95.jpeg 19590623-E7A9-4748-A925-9A2956EB2728.jpeg F42960BB-D4B7-4E44-8996-17071F263510.jpeg
C. Chia Lin ‘New City’ , Pot. Afternoon delight, Cym. Dayanum.. I commiserate. Good luck and keep up the treatments.

View attachment 17821 View attachment 17822 View attachment 17823
C. Chia Lin ‘New City’ , Pot. Afternoon delight, Cym. Dayanum.. I commiserate. Good luck and keep up the treatments.
Aha! I've got one catt with the damage your first pic shows on the back of its leaf. Didn't recognize that as spider mite damage, as well #%#!%#% I don't mind dealing with spraying when the weather is nice and I can take the plants outside. I hate this this time of year...

Latest posts

Back