Phrag Don Wimbur

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Achamore

Reaction score
Can't recall where and when I bought this, and it looked a bit forlorn as it developed such a long stem growing way out of the pot. But it developed such a remarkably strong profusion of blooms that have been emerging over the past 2 months, finally felt the need to photograph it.

upload_2020-3-4_17-13-52.png

I've been growing Don Wimbur specimens for nearly 20 years now, and never had any bloom quite like this one. All the more remarkable for the stem being so long and outside the pot.

Yes, me neither. I felt bad about it for a few years, seeing it grow so far out of the pot, and little (no) support for the stem. But then it developed this incredibly strong spike, much to my amazement.
I am agog. One for the books. What medium is it in? Do any of your other plants behave similarly?

Thank you for the additional photo. I was wondering why it looked like it was mounted, I kept turning my phone to see if I was looking at it upside down. Very interesting.

Thank you for the additional photo. I was wondering why it looked like it was mounted, I kept turning my phone to see if I was looking at it upside down. Very interesting.
At one point 2 years ago, I was on the verge of throwing it out, as it had become so straggly, and as the stem was so long and out of the pot, surely nothing much could come of it again. I was surprised as any of you at how it grew this spike totally contrary to expectations..!

You probably should have air-layered it or added another pot (sans bottom) on top of that pot. I've seen a bunch like that and huge plants with multiple growths spiking. I need you to start sending me your water! :) Yay besseae hybrids! Thanks for sharing your Don Wimber.

Many thanks, just didn't know the term.

Here's a couple pics of my recent air-layering of a besseae 'Amazonas'. I put a second larger pot around the original pot and stacked more growcubes around the stolonous growth that is trying to climb.

Attachments

• 20200318_202928.jpg
    20200318_202928.jpg
    120.5 KB · Views: 20
  • 20200318_202650.jpg
    20200318_202650.jpg
    125.8 KB · Views: 20

Latest posts

Back