Phrag Demetria

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

wamcq72

Reaction score
Hi everyone: I have been growing orchids for about 50 yrs. I decided to give Phrags a try. I have a Phrag Demetria, and I see some activity by the base, but I can’t tell if it’s a bloom spike
coming, root, or a new growth. I’m praying for a bloom spike. Where do the bloom spikes emerge from?

Thank you. I do used filtered water, so hopefully I’ll get some blooms one day.

Hmmm. I am tackling Phrags for the first time as well, was using totally pure water and have special slotted pots to help air get in, fans for circulation, special custom mixed Phrag media etc. I got them last April then we had a wretched HOT summer with temps in the upper 90’s. Suddenly all but 1 of the 8 Phrags have shown extreme distress. Leaves dying back and my Fritz Schomberg currently has roots but NO growth on top! It has totally died back! I was told by expert growers that the extreme heat was to blame. The distress is pretty much over, and I reduced the fertiliser, I continue the weekly flushing with pure water, but see no “forward movement” no new growth and no change in the current growth! Sigh! Basically I am told I am doing everything right and things should turn around! I just am impatient I guess!

Hi everyone: I have been growing orchids for about 50 yrs. I decided to give Phrags a try. I have a Phrag Demetria, and I see some activity by the base, but I can’t tell if it’s a bloom spike
coming, root, or a new growth. I’m praying for a bloom spike. Where do the bloom spikes emerge from?
From the base.

Hmmm. I am tackling Phrags for the first time as well, was using totally pure water and have special slotted pots to help air get in, fans for circulation, special custom mixed Phrag media etc. I got them last April then we had a wretched HOT summer with temps in the upper 90’s. Suddenly all but 1 of the 8 Phrags have shown extreme distress. Leaves dying back and my Fritz Schomberg currently has roots but NO growth on top! It has totally died back! I was told by expert growers that the extreme heat was to blame. The distress is pretty much over, and I reduced the fertiliser, I continue the weekly flushing with pure water, but see no “forward movement” no new growth and no change in the current growth! Sigh! Basically I am told I am doing everything right and things should turn around! I just am impatient I guess!
Most Phrags. especially those that have some kovachii in the lineage hate heat. I have hundreds of Phrags and they are a challage in our Texas heat!

I have all my Kovachii hybrids in one area of my greenhouse where I have an A/c unit to keep them cooler. They real do hate the heat!

I have a dozen or so different Phrags in my collection in Key West. They get plenty hot in the summer but they are outdoors so obviously also get a ton of rain during the summer rainy season. They also benefit from overhead misters directly adjacent to their bench that run 2x/day. You can grow them hot as long as they get plenty of water and occasional cooling by misters.
Regarding kovachii, I would never attempt a species like that where I am but I have a couple crossed with warmer growing species and they do fine for me.

I have a dozen or so different Phrags in my collection in Key West. They get plenty hot in the summer but they are outdoors so obviously also get a ton of rain during the summer rainy season. They also benefit from overhead misters directly adjacent to their bench that run 2x/day. You can grow them hot as long as they get plenty of water and occasional cooling by misters.
Regarding kovachii, I would never attempt a species like that where I am but I have a couple crossed with warmer growing species and they do fine for me.

Which KV crosses?

Well, our 3 month heat spell was almost rain free! I didn’t leave them outside! I am including misting to modify temps next year! We don’t normally have 3 month’s of 90+ temps or summer long drought!
My collection is all Kovachii and Besseae primary hybrids! The Phrag that breezes through without any visible distress was Ecuagenera Gigi (seed parent Phrag Caudatum, pollen parent Phrag Kovachii)
So, maybe the Caudatum parent could take the heat better??

Yes, the long petal phrags; caudatum, humboldti, willissii and their hybrids prefer much higher temps than kovachii. Most of the long petal species live in the Amazon basin while kovachii live high up in the Andes on the pacific coast.

This is very helpful, I have ventured into Phrags first season this year so wish me luck. It is going to be trial and error I guess, but who has not killed any in the process?

This is very helpful, I have ventured into Phrags first season this year so wish me luck. It is going to be trial and error I guess, but who has not killed any in the process?
The only person who has not killed something, is one who just bought something not long enough ago to have had it die yet. … I’m sure there are people who have killed their orchid bringing it home in a hot or cold vehicle

Latest posts

Back