Phrag. d'alessandroi 'DD #2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Some growers, myself included, have had a lot of success using modified hydroponic pots for kovackii. I go into much detail in the year end issue of the Orchid Digest. There bigger species, kovachii, boisserianum, longiflium, caudatum, etc., won't culture well in a tray. Schlimii might although I've never seen it in a tray. Those species that live below the high water line along the banks of rivers need deeper pots. Forget trays for those species.

Best,
Thanks Frank! Got it, I’ve got some homework to do.
89F20BE9-BE67-4ADD-935F-1903494BA0BA.jpeg

Last edited:
....and here's a photo taken yesterday of that Phrag. d'alessandroi 'DD #2' clone in full bloom. It has six flowers open and five buds on two branching inflorescences. Without a doubt, a poster child for tray culture for this species. The flowers in the background left are the 'DD #3' clone in bloom.

Attachments

• IMG_3795.JPG
    IMG_3795.JPG
    195.7 KB · Views: 57
I may have a division or two of this clone available in April/May of this year after repotting. The only problem with tray culture is you need a lot of room. I can grow eighteen plants in 3 1/4" pots in roughly the same are as one plant in a 10 x 20 tray.

I may have a division or two of this clone available in April/May of this year after repotting. The only problem with tray culture is you need a lot of room. I can grow eighteen plants in 3 1/4" pots in roughly the same are as one plant in a 10 x 20 tray.

looks like you are growing 2 plants per tray... am i seeing that correctly?

I will be watching...keep a little kitfox in mind...☺️

...and I promise this is the last photo of this clone. There are eight flowers and two buds on two inflorescences. Photo taken this morning in a bright greenhouse.
Holy CROW, Tom! I’ve got to try this one! Do you find it does better getting through summer heat than besseae? My besseae from you are no more but my d’allessandroi sailed through.

Back