Phrag. d'alessandroi 'DD #2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yay besseae (v. dalessandroi)! :p How deep are the trays? I wonder where Dennis is, probably laughing at us living here in a 3rd World country! :(
Standard 10 x 20 x 2 1/2 inches deep propagation trays with slotted bottoms for drainage. (See photo). I think most garden centers carry them, especially in the spring, or eBay. Haven't heard from Dennis in a long time; I assume he's still down in Ecuador?

Attachments

• IMG_3685.JPG
    IMG_3685.JPG
    206 KB · Views: 33
Not sure how you'd get there with COVID restrictions, but I'd advise going as soon as it's possible; the hikes aren't too strenuous for anyone in decent shape. The first trip I took about ten years ago was guided by Ecuagenera and it was excellent, especially since I was interested in seeing Phrag. besseae in it's natural habitat and analysing leachate and substrate samples.

Yay besseae (v. dalessandroi)! :p How deep are the trays? I wonder where Dennis is, probably laughing at us living here in a 3rd World country! :(

Eric, Denis has given up orchids and now owns a coffee shop in Vilcabamba, Ecuador where he lives with his family. BTW the plant in the photos does not exhibit the correct characteristic of true v. dalessandroi. Given its size, it should.

Wide, shallow clay pots can achieve the same results. All besseae need space.

Best regards,

Tom, if you had to over generalize, how long would you say it takes it reach maturity or fully branching like that? Either in years or blooming cycles (or even dog years)?

OK, although there are two (2) spikes on the plant but this is the real thing. Sometimes besseae can put out a single branch but not like the plant in the photo. V. d'alessandroi cannot be differentiated by any other means. Those colors, petal characteristics, etc., can be found in every large population, whether primary or secondary.

Tom, if you had to over generalize, how long would you say it takes it reach maturity or fully branching like that? Either in years or blooming cycles (or even dog years)?

I have seen single growth plants throw out two (2) and three (3) branches. If you have a real v. d'allessandroi it should become obvious by the second flowering season.

Space is a must for all besseae to reach this size. As in the photos trays work and so do large clay orchid pots, the shallow ones. Keep the air moving across the roots.

Best,

This clone has been growing in that tray for about 2 years. It's much larger and more floriferous than when we grew it in a 6" pot. I should repot it in the spring but I'm running out of room to be growing too many of them in trays.

Do you think most would phrags benefit from this shallow tray culture, or just the ones that walk out of the pot? Trying to decide who get the tray and space.. kovachii... Has anyone tried this in a tray?

Do you think most would phrags benefit from this shallow tray culture, or just the ones that walk out of the pot? Trying to decide who get the tray and space.. kovachii... Has anyone tried this in a tray?

Some growers, myself included, have had a lot of success using modified hydroponic pots for kovackii. I go into much detail in the year end issue of the Orchid Digest. There bigger species, kovachii, boisserianum, longiflium, caudatum, etc., won't culture well in a tray. Schlimii might although I've never seen it in a tray. Those species that live below the high water line along the banks of rivers need deeper pots. Forget trays for those species.

Best,

Latest posts

Back