Phrag crossing

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

NYEric

Reaction score
Hi. I recently won on eBay a phrag, Sarah Eadie that is album instead of the usual purplish/red. Does anyone have pollen or in bloom phrag fischeri/kovachii/Barbara LeAnn/ Lynn Evans Gouldner/ or Ryoko Urabe so I can try my first cross? I want to make purple phrag and I think the Sedenii will come out using one of those to cross it with.

I believe I've got some Lynn Evans Gouldner. I can check the g.h. later if you want it. I think I've got at least 2 or 3 in bloom. But, I don't know how long they've been opened.

O.K. I've got 5 of them in bloom and various stages of bud and opening. If you want some pollen. If it were me, I'd probably take up Rob's offer to look for an increase in bloom size.

Someday I'll post a picture, but it is on my other computer. Big flower, ~5" natural spread! Interesting color, kind of purple/lavender/red... well, it isn't really a color that has a name. Form isn't spectacular, but I wasn't expecting it.

No, it's not one of the 8 named crosses, so far. OK, I'd like to get pollen from the Pk x Living Fire and also put pollen on the Lynn Evans Gouldner. But if I can only get the pollen I'll take it. Thanx. Does anyone want pollen?

I'm taking the plant to judging this weekend, just to show it off (I don't know if I'd personally award it, but I've been wrong before). I'll pull the pollen after that.

Rob

I'm taking the plant to judging this weekend, just to show it off (I don't know if I'd personally award it, but I've been wrong before). I'll pull the pollen after that.

Rob, you have to have the pollen intact for judging, right? I've been told that before, but would like that confirmed.

I don't know if that is a rule or not. It isn't in the handbook, or if it is I haven't seen it. We will often judge inflorescences where pollinia are missing on some flowers (a catasetum inflorescence, for example).

I wouldn't remove the pollinia just because I don't want to risk the flower folding up on me... I don't think it would happen, but it doesn't hurt to wait a few days.

I have a kovachii x Living Fire in bloom. I don't know if that has a name. Want pollen?

If mamory serves me correctly, the Living Fire used was 4N. That makes it 3N and likely sterile. I would avoid using it. A shame, really.

Rob can you share a picture, I have yet to see that cross.

Eric, I have fisheri in bud and Micheal trembley in bloom (hanne popow x fisherii)

Kyle

You are right, I remember that now... But, some triploids are fertile, perhaps we will get lucky. Can't hurt to try? This particular plant grew like a bat out of hell, at least compared to the other ones I got which are still hovering around 8" ls.

Eric if you have pollen to spare I would like to put it on my Micheal Trembley. I will post a picture of it later.

Kyle

You are right, I remember that now... But, some triploids are fertile, perhaps we will get lucky. Can't hurt to try? This particular plant grew like a bat out of hell, at least compared to the other ones I got which are still hovering around 8" ls.

Your right, there are exceptions. But there offspring are a genetic mess. More of a dead end then a 3N.

Personally, I think it to be irresponsible. Just me opinion.

Plus it can be discouraging for Eric, a new hybridizer, to have a pod sown and yeild no plants. Stick with 2N - 2N or 4N to 4N

Kyle

Probably true. I'd do it for my own purposes, but I've done a lot of crosses and I expect at least half of them to fail anyway... I don't know that it is irresponsible though, sometimes you have to do risky crosses to get rewards. Perhaps out of 100 offspring only 5 are good. But those 5 might be outstanding. It isn't that much different than complex paph breeding. Actually it is probably quite analogous to early complex paph breeding, there were a lot of genetic barriers and mixed up crap in the first several generations (still a lot of genetic mess today!).

Eric, it is up to you.

Latest posts

Back