Phrag. Caudatum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Nice! I love this group of Phrags. Long petals are so nice.

What are your growing conditions and care routine like? Are these flowers fragrant? Some of them have a musky urine/sweat kind of smell to them. Not entirely unpleasant like it might sound.

These are excellent bloomers, very dependable. I fertilize every watering about 1/6-1/4 teaspoon. I don’t vary much with that and try to water at least every other day and daily if sun is shining. I grow under 6 bulb T5’s and in front of south facing windows, and move them outside after frost. I have tried to get specimen plants with 10-15 mature growths but I can’t get that many growths because they bloom. This years blooming plant, puts out new growth and it blooms.
Caudatums are more susceptible to rot so I try to be careful after repotting. Rot problems have always popped up after dividing and repotting. I have never had any rot issues with Grande’s or Sorcerers Apprentice. Duck

These are excellent bloomers, very dependable. I fertilize every watering about 1/6-1/4 teaspoon. I don’t vary much with that and try to water at least every other day and daily if sun is shining. I grow under 6 bulb T5’s and in front of south facing windows, and move them outside after frost. I have tried to get specimen plants with 10-15 mature growths but I can’t get that many growths because they bloom. This years blooming plant, puts out new growth and it blooms.
Caudatums are more susceptible to rot so I try to be careful after repotting. Rot problems have always popped up after dividing and repotting. I have never had any rot issues with Grande’s or Sorcerers Apprentice. Duck
Just curious, what's your potting medium, and watering regime?

i don't yet grow this but am chasing it from a few angles (finished killing a flask of it last june ;-) bought a seedling of 'var fortuna' from ecuagenera seems to be growing well ) grandes grow well for me

Just curious, what's your potting medium, and watering regime?

i don't yet grow this but am chasing it from a few angles (finished killing a flask of it last june ;-) bought a seedling of 'var fortuna' from ecuagenera seems to be growing well ) grandes grow well for me

I pot all orchids in the same medium and repot when I move them all outside. 4 parts Orchiata, 1 part charcoal, 1 part perlite and 1 part gro cubes. Fertilize and water daily when outside in hot summer.
1/4-1/6 teaspoon k-lite.

I pot all orchids in the same medium and repot when I move them all outside. 4 parts Orchiata, 1 part charcoal, 1 part perlite and 1 part gro cubes. Fertilize and water daily when outside in hot summer.
1/4-1/6 teaspoon k-lite.
Grow cubes are an interesting addition to the mix.... i have a grow cube and perlite mix i am experimenting with to try and avoid the repotting shock i tend have with my phrags... only 2 months in .....it's hard to decide you want to experiment on a plant when you treat every plant as your favorite ;-) ( i think this is where Ray jumps in and says "you know there is thing called semi hydro that accomplishes those goals for you !" !!!!! :) love ya Ray! )

Hi,
It just worked out that way. :))
the reason i asked is that i've seen some growers (very experienced) actively keep their plants to a few fans... or a few pseudo bulbs (for some oncidium growers i know).... and i'm always looking to understand different strategies and reasoning.. (in case it appeared i was getting a little nosey :) )

the reason i asked is that i've seen some growers (very experienced) actively keep their plants to a few fans... or a few pseudo bulbs (for some oncidium growers i know).... and i'm always looking to understand different strategies and reasoning.. (in case it appeared i was getting a little nosey :) )
That is my goal too. I try to keep most of my plants around 4-5 growths and I will divide them if they get more than 20 growths. But it depends on the hybrids, some compact hybrids are doing well with 20+ growths, I just leave it growth like that.

Latest posts

Back