Phrag caudatum v wallisii

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

dustywoman

Hi, I haven't posted here for a while, but from time to time I look in. I have a question about this Phrag. I'm not up to date with the taxonomy and don't know whether it is just plain old caudatum or plain old wallisii. I'm curious as it looks like it's spiking. At least I hope it is. It's been like this for several months. At first, I thought it was going to blast due to the color of the sheath. However, as the months have passed, the sheath is getting larger and thicker.

Maybe this thing is actually going to bloom?? Are these normally so slow?? Is the sheath color normal for caudatum? I know it is supposed to be darker than wallisii. (The white dusty stuff is pollen. It's currently outside in a screen house.)

I don't want to get too excited yet!!!

DSCN0356.jpg

Thanks for looking!

I'm not sure if it's rotten. That's why I'm asking here. If it were rotten, wouldn't it be shrinking and withering by now? It's been over three months.

Instead, it's getting larger and thicker. :confused:

Maybe the sheath has rotten but part of the spike and at maybe a bud have managed to survive it...But, most of my caudatum and wallisii types don't sit for 3 months with brown sheaths like that. Maybe someone else can chime in.

Is it in Sphagnum, Susan?
I would get it out of it if it is- with the weather we've been having (wet) and a caudatum type that doesn't like it wet, I would also be concerned.

If it's getting bigger, that's a good sign that maybe it is just the sheath. I'd definitely put it in a dryer mix though if I'm seeing correctly and that is sphag.

Actually it's in a strange S/H set up, that I'd never seen used before. (It's in its own pot with a resovoir) There is a thin layer of moss on top. I bought it at a private sale for $10 last October.

I didn't think caudatum sheaths would be that color, but was wondering if they were because the blooms are darker.

I take it that these type of Phrags do not do well in S/H?

Thanks

Congrats - caudatum or wallisii, I would have taken it for 10 bucks, too!
I don't have much experience growing is S/H. Right now I have a schomburgkia & a bulbo in S/H, that's the way they came to me & both looked great, had good roots, so I left them alone. Seeing that caudatum is found growing in trees & wallisii grows in volcanic rock, I would think that either should be fine in S/H. It is strange to have moss on top, what good is that doing?
I'm with everyone else, it would concern me on the color of the bud, but otherwise it looks healthy. It's plump, firm & you're seeing increased growth, only time will tell! Keep us posted!

Sadly, I have rotted my share of slipper 'sheaths' and they've all looked like that. I hope it works out for you. Can you snap an over head photo?

Even sadder, I bet if you tug on the 'sheath' it will pull out without much resitance.

Kyle

I also don't like the color of that sheath. Are there any more inside that one?

The multi floral phrags will have 2 or 3 sheaths within the first one just about the time you can start to see the stem of the spike.

At that time you could remove the outer most sheath.

If it smells kind of sweet/fermentatious then jump on it with cinnamon and get some dragons blood.

Back