Phrag. caudatum 'Perfection'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

paphioland

Reaction score
PICT01381.jpg

PICT01391.jpg

30.5 inch petals. Very Large flowers for caudatum

It is bigger in every dimension than any awarded caudatum and it has four flowers. Manchan of Tokyo Orchid Nursery is a JOGA judge in Japan. He saw it in person and told me it was a gold medal plant. He was very impressed. I trust his "eye" up there with a couple of people in the world for slippers. So the better question. Is it a really good one? Yes it is. Is it awardable who knows.

Believe it or not, this phrag only got a second place ribbon. i don't think it got an AOS award, but am not positive on that.

Believe it or not, this phrag only got a second place ribbon. i don't think it got an AOS award, but am not positive on that.

Ribbon judging awards do not always correlate to AOS awards. Ribbons are generally given to the best/showiest entry in the class that shows up to that particular show. Whether or not its pulled for AOS judging will depend on the diligence of the owner (he/she can take it to the judges), or if a judge knowledgeable enough of the award history of this species notices the plant and checks it out against the standards.

Although every entry in a show is looked at by at least a couple of judges, if its a big show with hundreds of entries then even great plants may not get the time of day for a thorough AOS critique.

Yup, I couldn't have said it any better, Rick. There have been plenty of times I've had some pretty underwhelming plants take the blue ribbon, only because the competition in a particular category wasn't outstanding. I've also had the opposite happen where I walk into plant registration thinking I've got a pretty spectacular plant...only to see what I'm competing against and my 15 spike whatever looks rather pale against its 35 spike competitor.

Yup, I couldn't have said it any better, Rick. There have been plenty of times I've had some pretty underwhelming plants take the blue ribbon, only because the competition in a particular category wasn't outstanding. I've also had the opposite happen where I walk into plant registration thinking I've got a pretty spectacular plant...only to see what I'm competing against and my 15 spike whatever looks rather pale against its 35 spike competitor.

This was at a show. I got two AMs and this caudatum was not awarded. It is really amazing LOL. To be honest there were many plants in there that should have been awarded.

The local ribbons really are very subjective and usually given by very inexperienced people. They tend to give ribbons to the professional growers since the local judge doesn't know what is good they just feel that will show that they know something. A professional grower asked if he could have a pot complex. I gave him the poorest red spotted I got. I got 8 pot plants incase I needed fillers. Guess what it, got first place spotted over my highly select spotted clones. The second place spotted was my pot plant spotted LOL. The two highly select clones nothing. It is a real joke. Although to be fair the best spotted 'grand' was fading but I had three others that were better than the pot plants, 'wow' was there. The other thing was that I had a select delenatii album that was much much bigger and better than a professional growers and his got first place. Joe Kunich's average richteri got best phrag species over the caudatum. On top of that the best paph was given to an average three flower St Swithin. There was a pretty good Richiardianum. The best one I have seen and it got nothing. I guess my display was very poorly put together with no lights in the beginning but the awards should be about the plants. Most of my whites had faded by the time of the show also.

Ken, when you say professional grower I take this to mean a commercial grower/vendor? In our society commercial folks aren't allowed to compete with us. They have their own category. Best commercial display etc.

Be sure to post your AM's. Congrats!

if a judge knowledgeable enough of the award history of this species notices the plant and checks it out against the standards.

Although every entry in a show is looked at by at least a couple of judges, if its a big show with hundreds of entries then even great plants may not get the time of day for a thorough AOS critique.

This couldn't be truer. There were 58 plants in my display. I think it was overwhelming for them

Ken, when you say professional grower I take this to mean a commercial grower/vendor? In our society commercial folks aren't allowed to compete with us. They have their own category. Best commercial display etc.

Be sure to post your AM's. Congrats!
Yes the commercial growers and all the local judges knew which exhibit was the prof growers. I don't mind competing with them. The quality of their plants was nothing special although they are phenomenal exhibitors and display makers.

Thanks Candace. The awarded plants were nice but easy to judge and not that rare. They were no where near the best plants in my display.

I honestly feel bad for the plants that were spectacular and were ignored. I feel like they got slighted. LOL. It is not me I just feel like it is an injustice against truth.LOL But Ricks statement really is accurate and well said.

some of the good plants that I am posting were not in good enough condition to display so that is good that their feelings weren't hurt.LOL

Latest posts

Back