Phrag caudatum 'Fortuna'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

L I Jane

First blooming with a ding on petal but the pouch colour knocked my socks off!! Even the hanging petals which are elongating are dark.I usually think of greenish beige colour when thinking of caudatum.Only one flower but hope for better things to come.It's not the best set up but I was trying to show underneath the hanging dorsal.

Tom, this is the best I could do by bending the dorsal back.What do you think-popowii ???

Not sure it's popowii (or humboldtii, or whatever the taxonomic community is calling it nowadays) because I've never seen a popowii with that pouch color. But it would be great to see another flower! Is that another bud I see behind the photo flower?

No Tom, this is the one & only bud for this blooming so will have to wait until next year.

wow, beautiful color! I hope you will post other picture when it's fully open. Should be beautiful!

Rob,that is where I bought it.Ivan told me after seeing it that it had a very dark colour & was a good one.Hopefully more flowers in the future :) I just got antsy when someone thought it wasn't caudatum Fortuna but perhaps something else.

Maybe - But I've never seen a popowii with that pouch color and the shape of popowii pouches I've seen are more square, less elongate. I also have a problem with this as a hybrid, because I can't imagine what you would breed popowii to that would make the pouch as dark or as concolored as this one. It's a quandary.........

Maybe - But I've never seen a popowii with that pouch color and the shape of popowii pouches I've seen are more square, less elongate. I also have a problem with this as a hybrid, because I can't imagine what you would breed popowii to that would make the pouch as dark or as concolored as this one. It's a quandary.........

I agree, the pouch looks a little odd, and looks a little dark but I think it is just a misshaped flower, and would wait for the next flower to open to draw conclusions...If it is truly a division from the same plant as the link, the mother plant for sure is a popowii...

Robert

Don't think there is a next flower on this particular inflorescence. I'd be interested in seeing some others of this clone bloom, though, before drawing any conclusions. Ecuagenera's been selling them for some time now, so there should be some others out there that are blooming size.

Latest posts

Back