Phrag caricinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

Florian

Reaction score
Hello Paul, this is not Phragmipedium caricinum, ist is a Hybrid. But the plant Looks nice.

abax

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
I agree with Florian...perhaps a cross? I have a caricinum 'Fox Valley' and it ain't an easy one to bloom so far. If anyone
on ST has a photo of one they've bloomed, I'd love to see the photo.

cpmaniac

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
When I posted this, maybe I should have said I wasn't certain about the identity. It certainly looks different than the limited number of photos I could find, and some of them are probably Phrag. pearcei. However, checking my reference books, the plants physical characteristics fit the description for Phrag. caricinum. I have asked the nursery it came from (Popow) to supply any information about the plants' origin. I will ask Frank Cervera to take a look, as well.
Regards,
Paul

FrankRC

Reaction score
This is most assuredly not a caricinum. This looks like the hybrid between lindleyanum and pearcei, a hybrid that was described as Phrag. brasiliense.

Best regards,

cpmaniac

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
This is most assuredly not a caricinum. This looks like the hybrid between lindleyanum and pearcei, a hybrid that was described as Phrag. brasiliense.

Best regards,
Thank you! I will change the label and enjoy the plant.

Florian

Reaction score
I bought a „caricinum“ from popow wich never flowers right now. But i am sure its not the species. The real one has much more narrow leaves. Bought ist as a young plant and the Habitus looks like your plant.

cpmaniac

ST Supporter
ST Supporter
Reaction score
Well, a bit of egg on my face. I have Phrag. lindleyanum, and I should have spotted its influence right away.

That has amazing color. Thanks for sharing. Picked up in spike from where? OL?
It is Popow Orchids breeding and was labelled as Phrag. caricinum. I purchased it on eBay.

Latest posts