Phrag caricinum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
G

gore42

I came home today to find that this little bloom had opened. I'm going to take more photos in a few days when it's fully developed and my light is better, but for now, I thought I might as well post these :)

This is a division of Paph caricinum 'Toadley' from Windy Hill.

phrag-caricinum1.jpg

and

phrag-caricinum2.jpg

I love the spots inside the pouch :)

- Matt

Uri- I'm planning on at least selfing it. If anyone else out there has some Phrag caricinum pollen, I'd be happy to trade :)

- Matt

Matt -
You should cross several flowers as each pod only yields few seeds as with pearcei

Dot, do you have any estimate for blooming time? This is my first bloom on this spike, and I don't know how many to expect... this is a fairly large 4 or 5 growth plant... but maybe you'll have pollen in time for me to pollenate one of the later blooms. And of course, I can set aside some pollen for you anytime now :)

- Matt

Hi Matt,
I'm not sure how long it takes, but looking at the fatness of the bud and length of the spike, I'd guess about a week or so.
Actually I have two spikes -- the second isn't quite as far along.
I don't really think I want to go the pollenating route with mine, but I'll be happy to send you some pollen for yours.

I haven't heard from Ed M in a while, but he also has a very nice caricinum. I don't know if its in bloom at present to get pollen either.

I really like the color and distinctivness of the spotting on these guys.

Very pretty Matt.

paphjoint said:
Matt -
You should cross several flowers as each pod only yields few seeds as with pearcei

I had some good luck with pearcei. I sent two or three pods to Meyers, and they ended up with almost 1000 seedlings.

Initially I did have allot of problems getting pollinations to take, but after forcing the humidity up all pollination attempts took.

Back