Phrag. Cardinale

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well, I can always have the house painted next year.

Now I have to find one and learn how to take care if it.

Yup; heard all that myself too. Leo, you can also add Cardinale 'Killworth' AM/AOS to that list.

FYI:
Sedenii (longifolium x schlimii) Always has remnants of the longifolium "horns" on each side of the pouch.

Cardinale (Sedenii x schlimii) Always has a perfect "toilet bowl" shaped lip with no sign of the "horns" at all.

Overall;
Sedenii (being half longifolium), is a bit more drawn out horizontally. Petals are a little more pointed. They're not as wide (proportionately) and they tend to be a little more curled/twisted than Cardinale.

Cardinale (being 3/4 schlimii), is a rounder flower (in all respects), than Sedenii. Petals are shorter with rounder tips. They are wider (proportionately) and they tend to be nearly completely flat; sometimes with a bit of curl upwards.

However, the single most important identification point (between Sedenii and Cardinale), is the pouch shape. Sedenii just can't get away from that little bump on each side of the pouch rim; whereas Cardinale, having a double dose of schlimii, has virtually zero bump on the side of the pouch rim. A Cardinale pouch looks like a good place to sit.....a Sedenii pouch; not so much!

For years the speculation was that this plant clone 'X' or Cardinale 'Birchwood' or what ever name you use, for years there was speculation about its ploidy, and what the putative parents could be. Thankfully we have a beautiful parallel example from the besseae hybrid group. Phrag Cape Sunset (Eric Young 4N x schlimii 2N) in the remake done by Schomburg and widely distributed through the Hawaiian wholesalers 2003 to 2007. The flower of the 3N Cape Sunset is quite similar in a general sort of way, also being 1/4 longifolium it lacks the horns, and is full and round. Cape Sunset tends to be a bit bigger than Cardinale, but that is likely that in Cardinale you have a double dose of schlimii, and it is a decidedly smaller flower than besseae. I think it is pretty well settled that this plant is Cardinale, most likely 3N as it is a reluctant breeder. It does breed, but does it best when the other parent is a 4N hybrid or a 2N species. Yeild is usually low, less than 100 per pod, rather than the more typical ~ 400+. THere may be exception, but I haven't heard of them yet. Thanks for confirming my recollection.

Back