Phrag. Black Cherry (Haley Decker x Mem. Dick Clements)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

A new 2nd generation kovachii hybrid opened up for us, it is a cross between Phrag. Haley Decker and Phrag. Mem. Dick Clements; we named it Phrag. Black Cherry, because of the very dark red color. This is probably THE darkest red color I have ever seen for any Phrag. hybrid. I was a little disapointed in the size. It seems like most of the 2nd generation kovachii hyrbrids that are 25% kovachii, seem to loose their size for the most part, but I do like the color, and I think that kovachii probably has intensified it. The next step is to backcross this hybrid back into kovachii, to get something that is more than 50% kovachii, so the size will increase again, but hopefully have some pretty dark flowers...

It was hard to capture the color, but here it is with a dark black background:

with a natural background:

and compared to a Phrag. Jason Fischer to see it's size and to compare its color:

Robert

Yay! You're doing it. You're getting some color into those kovachii hybrids!

That's a pretty flower for sure. Shame about the size, but you know, size isn't everything. I imagine though, that with a cross like this, there's potential for a lot of variation in color, intensity, shape and size in terms of the flowers.

Robert, I like the dark coloration. The shape is not the best but I think it has huge potential in breeding! I like it a lot.

The colour is intense, indeed. But I still prefer Jason Fischer (sorry, I'm no kovachi-fan). The red is a very beautiful red.

Latest posts

Back