phrag besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
the bud opened on my besseae, and the flowers don't look too much different than the ones of my supposed dalessandroi/besseae mix(?). The center of my besseae actually has more of a yellow 'blaze' type-thing going on than my 'dallensandroi', which is pretty uniform.

besseae.JPG

flower is larger and darker than the other mixed plant

besseae2.JPG

sidebess.JPG

side view

Last edited:
Because of the time when d'alessandroi was thought to be a form of besseae, I wonder how many true besseaes there are anymore.

Agree - Its nice.

My bessae will flower for the first time within some weeks.

I wouldn't rely on the 'blaze of orange' to tell the plants apart. I think it was just coincedence that the early plants discribed has this feature. I have seen many dalessandrois without it. And besseaes in the wild, with it.

Things like the staminode, pouch shape and how the flowers are held are more reliable.

Where did this besseae come from?

Kyle

thanks for the link. when I was checking out a dalessandroi picture on the www.phragweb.info site, I happened to look up at the two plants of mine in flower, and was struck at how much the profile of my besseae 'wings of fire' looked like the dalessandroi in the picture. now that was the plant that I was sure was 'just' a besseae, but now I'm not sure if I have a clean one or not. both the besseae and dalessandroi have the downswept petals look, but are on plants with definite stolonous growth
*sigh*
i was also looking at a supposed dalessandroi on ebay today and the flower shown also looked like those on my two plants, but didn't really look like dalessandroi to me. don't know where any can be found, either

Back