Phrag. besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
What do you mean by "standard old" besseae? If it refers to the colour I like them best; the colour is wonderful!

Yep, old style, not line bred and mixed. Yay besseae! Hope you grow it big enough to divide.
BTW, the Chysies I got from you have multiplied lots in # of bulbs but never bloomed. Any suggestions?

Yep, old style, not line bred and mixed. Yay besseae! Hope you grow it big enough to divide.
BTW, the Chysies I got from you have multiplied lots in # of bulbs but never bloomed. Any suggestions?
I have spotty luck blooming them out; seems the more correct my culture, the less blooming I get. Let me know if you figure it out!

What do you mean by "standard old" besseae? If it refers to the colour I like them best; the colour is wonderful!
Not the super-round fattish ones they seem to be gravitating toward. I'm not terribly fond of the newer line-bred ones which are so full and round. I think they lose the original charm of the species and its unique form.

It seems I'm a bit old fashioned, too, I totally agree with you about the individuality of the shape.

Not the super-round fattish ones they seem to be gravitating toward. I'm not terribly fond of the newer line-bred ones which are so full and round. I think they lose the original charm of the species and its unique form.
That just puts you into the... 'hey i have 5 different clones of besseae' club... nice species variability makes for a fun collection... :)

Beautiful.❤This guys were always a chellenge to me.This year is the first when I have success with them.I have two plants in bud.I keep my fingers crossed.😊

How long have you had it? I have some 25 year old plants but they all have a yellow base colour, so they're shades of orange.

How long have you had it? I have some 25 year old plants but they all have a yellow base colour, so they're shades of orange.
This I got as a division from a friend maybe 8-10 years ago; how long he'd had it I don't know for sure, but a while, as the mother plant was many growths old.

That is a gorgeous flower. I like the shape, and the color is amazing. Although there has been line breeding to produce fuller segments, apparently there is a lot of variation is wild plants, as well. Some have wider petals than others. Take a look at the photos in the recent Phragmipedium Issue of the Orchid Digest.

Latest posts

Back