Phrag besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

TrueNorth

Reaction score
I've had this one since it was a protocorm in the mid '90's. I bought a flask from Huronview Nurseries in Ontario. It's had a couple of near death experiences over the years, but it's survived along with a couple of siblings.

It's pretty good for such an oldie. NS is 7.4, PW is 2.6 and it's very flat. Best of all it's growth habit is very well behaved. It doesn't grow it's stolons straight up in the air.

besseae.jpg

besseae2.jpg

Oh that's a really nice one. I think the orange colored clones like this are my favorite. And, I agree, that is surprisingly flat given the age of the clone, it was ahead of its time.

I'm sure this plant is a result of selective breeding, TrueNorth probably doesn't know the breeder or parents. That's my take.

Sent from my SM-G955U using Tapatalk

Phrag besseae was named in 1981. What makes you think your 1994 plants weren't bred, are they wild collected?

They were in flask, so not jungle collected. I meant they were not the result of a long and extensive breeding program. The vendor claimed that he was the first to get them to grow roots in flask. I'm skeptical about that, but how many generations could there be between 1981 and 1994? Not many.

Latest posts

Back