Phrag besseae

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

parvi_17

Reaction score

This is my one and only besseae. It's a cross between 'Fire Engine' and 'First Choice'. I plan to get at least one other clone in the near future to do some breeding.

Joe

parvi 17, is that a first bloom seedling? It just strikes me as a youngin' that is showing LOTS of potential for even bigger, rounder flowers in the future, when it is multi-growth and fully mature. I'd be surprized to find out that it is already a fully mature plant. It's hard for me to describe where I get this idea from; but, it just looks like a small, well shaped flower with tons of potential and that it will show what it can really do when it is bigger and stronger. Those petals and dorsal just look like they're itching to be fully inflated to their full size and shape. Of course, that can only happen on a later flower. Perhaps if you grew it cooler than you are presently, it will "bulk up" for you. I find that cool nighttime temps produce bigger, fuller, rounder flowers and better colour saturation. I think that you've got a really good one there and would like to see it's future bloomings as a comparison.....especially if you can grow it with nights at about 55*F to 60*F consistently throughout the entire development stage of the next flowering.

John M said:
parvi 17, is that a first bloom seedling? It just strikes me as a youngin' that is showing LOTS of potential for even bigger, rounder flowers in the future, when it is multi-growth and fully mature. I'd be surprized to find out that it is already a fully mature plant. It's hard for me to describe where I get this idea from; but, it just looks like a small, well shaped flower with tons of potential and that it will show what it can really do when it is bigger and stronger. Those petals and dorsal just look like they're itching to be fully inflated to their full size and shape. Of course, that can only happen on a later flower. Perhaps if you grew it cooler than you are presently, it will "bulk up" for you. I find that cool nighttime temps produce bigger, fuller, rounder flowers and better colour saturation. I think that you've got a really good one there and would like to see it's future bloomings as a comparison.....especially if you can grow it with nights at about 55*F to 60*F consistently throughout the entire development stage of the next flowering.

John, I am very pleased to hear that you think it has some potential. This is a first-bloom seedling. I've thought about growing my cool-growing plants outside during the summer to get those low nighttime temps; perhaps I'll do it with this one. Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse so I can't provide such conditions year-round...

Joe

parvi_17 said:
John, I am very pleased to hear that you think it has some potential. This is a first-bloom seedling. I've thought about growing my cool-growing plants outside during the summer to get those low nighttime temps; perhaps I'll do it with this one. Unfortunately I don't have a greenhouse so I can't provide such conditions year-round...

Joe

Outside for the summer should make it happy. Just be sure to pick a good spot of it out of the wind and protected from squirrels, etc. You might even see a considerable improvement between this flower (which is already awesome :drool: ) and the third of fourth flower to come. Of course, if you really wanted to move things along, you could cut the spike off now and let the plant spend the summer producing the next growth and reblooming in the cooler temps of the fall......just a thought. I know, it's hard to do, expecially if you only have one of something special like this plant. Whatever you do; good luck!

Edit: Even though it could be a couple years, would you please put my name in the pot for a division? I really do like that one and I'm sure it will even get better!

I am in complete agreement with John. The flower shows a lot of potential. I know besseaes don't get divided very often, but it you get a division, I'd like to be after John... or maybe a piece of pollen in the future.

Latest posts

Back