Phrag. besseae var. flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
'Windy Hill' x 'Sunbeam'.

Not the best photo...
flavum3aa6.jpg

Beautiful, Heather! How are you growing yours.... s/h? Standard bark mix? Mine isn't growing especially well :(

- Matt

Thanks Matt. :)
It's in S/H.

I got it close to being in spike. I think it spiked within a couple months but took ages to go from spike to bloom. I was worried it was going to abort.

John (Phrag) has the same cross and his aborted. I think these flavums are just a little challenged. This has two mature growths but didn't bloom on the first (good thing likely). Has a few new starts.

I like the bloom, at first I thought it was very proportional but then I looked at my photo and realized how NOT it was. Hoping for better on the next flower.

It is also very green. Hope it warms up a bit. Hrm, now that I said that, does anyone know if this is temp. sensitive like regular besseae? Greener when grown cooler, more yellow if warm? Just a curious thing that popped into my head all of the sudden!

I like it Heather. I'd expect the green to turn more yellow as it ages; but, that's just a guess. I don't have any flavums; so, I'd take it in an instant if you decided that you just hate it! ; )

Hi. Very well done. Most flavum besseae I've seen had the same shape. Remember, they all come from the one flavum plant so maybe until another is found no line breeding for fuller shape is possible. BTW, just send the plants it's going to get colder again but the shipping shouldnt be that bad. E.

NYEric said:
so maybe until another is found no line breeding for fuller shape is possible.

You can line breed by breeding first to a normal red and then back to get the yellow. It can and has been done.

VEry true Lien, But I don't think its being doen enough. I think thats why lately its been hard to find yellow besseaes. The fertility has decreased due to line breeding without the introduction of new genes/blood.

I think bloomfield orchids has a listing of besseae seedlings whose parents are split for yellow (they look red, but one parent is yellow). So buying one of those seedling could yield a yellow baby. In theory, that one would be more vigorous.

Kyle

Kyle said:
VEry true Lien, But I don't think its being doen enough. I think thats why lately its been hard to find yellow besseaes. The fertility has decreased due to line breeding.

Hi Kyle,

You're right. I think it's isn't as often done because it's a longer route. But ultimately it can lead to really terrific plants. I've seen a few from the OZ from this line of breeding and they were really exceptional with natural spreads in the 9-10cm range.

Lien

Its good to hear that the Orchid Zone is doing this kind of work. He has the space to mass produce them so that the price is within reach of hobbists.

If it was up to me, and I will be getting some flavum this spring, I would breed more for vigour at this point in time, then size and shape. But Terry Roots has probably already done that....

Kyle

Looks fine to me!

Anyone know who has some of the plants that came from the original flasks of this form? Furthermore, are they breeding with them?

kentuckiense said:
Looks fine to me!

Anyone know who has some of the plants that came from the original flasks of this form? Furthermore, are they breeding with them?

Do you mean original flask of the first flavum clone?

kentuckiense said:
I mean the flasks produced from the selfing of the original flavum clone. I think that's what you're saying, too.

Yes, that's what i thought. Didn't word it very well. Those were made in the early 90s and i doubt anyone has remade the cross, 'Fox Valley Gold' x self. And certainly by now all those have bloomed out. I have the plant and could try to self it again though. Tom Kalina may and probably has plants of FVG x self.

My records say I have a besseae flavum from Fox Valley but I have none near blooming size. [Translation: I probably killed it.] The flavum besseae are the slowest growing plants I have. Heathers you can try to pinch out the flower so the plant puts its energy into its next growth...:confused:

Just found this post so I thought I'd link it in:

Drorchid said:
What this is, is probaly a cross between a regular besseae and a flavum colored one. the offspring ends up being salmon colored. I have some going as well (they are still seedling stage), I made this cross as I wanted to improve the yellow besseae's. If you sib some of the yellow/red hybrids about 1/4 should be yellow again, but hopefully they should have some more vigor. Untill now all the yellow besseae's have been in-bred, as they are all derived from one single plant.

Robert

Oh, and Eric, meh...my bess is a two growth plant already so I'll just let if flower on.

I want this to go into another message so that it doesn't get lost in the last one I posted.

I was just looking at the plant and the flower, which, as we noted, is a little less than proportional.

It's actually deformed.
There is an extra section on the lower right petal next to the pouch. What is fascinating about it is that it has four very small transluscent fenestres. Just like the pouch!

I am going to attempt a photo but it is so small, I doubt this will work....
camera batteries are dead...stay tuned. This is so cool!

Latest posts

Back