Phrag. besseae var. flavum 'Charlie'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Dandrobium

Reaction score
Here's 'Charlie' that I got from John M a couple years back. First flowering for me

20180105_080656web.jpg

20180105_080805web.jpg

Thanks! I am pretty happy with the flower! I've got it in a 4.5" pot with CHC, leca, charcoal, and sphag. I water it every second day and typically have it sitting in a saucer in the warmer seasons. I don't let this dry out, and try to water when the media is just lightly moist. Right now, temps go down to 55F at night and up to low 70s during the day. RH is around 60% and moderate air movement.

It only gets natural light from a large east window, which right now, is still bright but only for a short time. It probably gets the least light of all my phrags. Apparently still enough though!

Wow! That looks absolutely delicious! Makes me want to rush out and buy some lemon sorbet. The colour is awesome and the plant is so robust and healthy! Congratulations....well done Dan!

If it wasn't for the fact that (obviously), I already have this clone, I'd be asking you if I could get a division from you some day!

Wow! That looks absolutely delicious! Makes me want to rush out and buy some lemon sorbet. The colour is awesome and the plant is so robust and healthy! Congratulations....well done Dan!

If it wasn't for the fact that (obviously), I already have this clone, I'd be asking you if I could get a division from you some day!

Thanks to your culture tips, it has done very well for me! Of course John, if anything happened to yours, I could help you out!

Interesting to know the origin of this plant too!

Thanks Dan....but, your "division" is bigger and more robust than my "mother plant"! You've "tweaked" any advice I offered and done better than I do with my piece. Impressive! So, what do you feed it with and how often? What water do you use (rain, R.O., municipal)?

No Eric! There is a BIG difference between something from Germany and something given the clonal name of Germany. 'Charlie' is not "the 'Germany' clone". Don't screw around with the truth, please. Originally, there was no particular plant called 'Germany'. Chuck had "Germany" written on all the tags of all the plants that he originally got from Germany. When I got my plants (2), I got a division of Chuck's 'Rob' and I got an unnamed plant that Chuck said was from Germany; but, it was not named "Germany". The tag said: "Phrag. besseae v. flavum Germany". Lacking single quotes, I asked Chuck to clarify. That's when he told me that he had multiple flavums that came from Germany and no, "Germany" was not a clonal name....it was just the place of origin. He may have called a plant out of that bunch, 'Germany' since then; but, if he has, it has nothing to do with my plant, 'Charlie'.

Thanks Dan....but, your "division" is bigger and more robust than my "mother plant"! You've "tweaked" any advice I offered and done better than I do with my piece. Impressive! So, what do you feed it with and how often? What water do you use (rain, R.O., municipal)?

John, I treat it like my other phrags, so frequent watering with low TDS. Rain in summer and RO in winter. Each watering I alternate between calmag and fert. Maybe 1/8 tsp/gal. Either 12-4-8 miracle gro with micros or fish fert. I also use kelpmax and Inocucor solution every few weeks to a month.

Latest posts

Back