Phrag besseae var. dalessandroi

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

silence882

Horse whisperer
Supporting Member
Reaction score
My eBay dalessandroi is blooming! I think it's the the genuine article, but am never quite sure. The fuzzy pics were taken at one-day intervals. I haven't been able to catch the color quite correctly. It opened a coral color and is now an orange-coral.

Phragdalessandroiday4.jpg

Phragdalessandroiday3.jpg

Phragdalessandroiday2.jpg

Phragdalessandroiday1.jpg

--Stephen

We need Kyle to post his photos showing the difference between besseae and dalessandroi. I remember the main differences were that the pouch on dals is shorter than bess. And the staminode has a horn on the tip, but without photographs that may be hard to explain.

I bought this plant from shermantp in July, 2005 for $30 + s/h.

After looking at Kyle's analysis, I think it's a true dalessandroi. There are a few bloom characteristics which are off a bit (its flowering from the first floral bract), but it matches up mostly. My dalessandroi also has wider leaves than my besseae. However, short of going to the Ecuadorian jungle and collecting the plant myself, I'd never stake a claim to know for sure the identity of a var. dalessandroi.

The photos are of all the same plant, just in different spots, so the lighting is weird. Here are far too many more:
Phragdalessandroiday5.jpg

Phragdalessandroistaminode.jpg

Phragdalessandroiinbloom.jpg

Phragdalessandroibloomside.jpg

This shot's the closest I can get to true color:
Phragdalessandroitruecolor.jpg

Here's a shot next to my besseae (which is spiking and can't be moved to get a better pic):
Phragdalessandroiwithbesseae.jpg

And a slightly off-topic pic of the besseae bud:
Phragbesseaebud.jpg

--Stephen

Latest posts

Back