Phrag besseae 'Sunfire' x 'Orange Circle'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Heather

ST Supporter
Supporting Member
Reaction score
Sacramento, CA. Outside w/ Southeast Exposure
From the Fischers.
This is the second blooming for the plant and I think it has much better form this time around.

sunorange6eg6.jpg

I don't care what people say about the new OZ hybrids, I don't think it gets a lot better than that, Heather. That form is just about perfect... I like the fact that the petals aren't over-sized. It's very nicely proportioned. What's the spread?

- Matt

Matt-

I know - I was enamored with the new OZ crosses last year, and I've kept my best 5 of 10, but the glamour wore off. I had a couple that were downright freaky the petals were so disproportionate.

This last summer, after moving 3 times, switching them to S/H and having a bad bout with thrips, well, it pretty much stressed the heck out of my Phrags. The besseaes are all blooming right on schedule, but in general, the blooms are smaller this year than last. Spread on this one is just 7cm.
I'm just happy they survived and are blooming. Most of the old, damaged growths have died (or been chopped) off.

Hey lookin good Heather! We've got a bunch coming into bloom for the 2nd time this year and they are much larger than before and have a very strong red. Phrag. besseae is always better the 2nd or 3rd time around, especially when you can bloom it when the nights are cool.

Hi H. Nice job. I do think the bloom from last year looks more like a wild grown flower however. BTW, has anyone ever shown/posted a RED besseae [like the one littlefrog has as an icon]?

NYEric said:
Hi H. Nice job. I do think the bloom from last year looks more like a wild grown flower however. BTW, has anyone ever shown/posted a RED besseae [like the one littlefrog has as an icon]?
Didn't you just answer your own question? :poke:

I think there is always a bit of debate as to whether even the reddest besseae is actually 'red'. Most have just a touch of orange in them. I'd say the one I have as my icon is close enough to red that I can't tell the difference, but I bet somebody would say it is red-orange.

Latest posts

Back