Phrag. besseae 'Robert's First'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is the 3rd time this besseae has bloomed. It is from our own line of besseae breeding, and is our 3rd generation. I have been selecting for large size, flat shape and dark colors. I think our besseae's tend to be darker in color than the Oz besseae's and not as round in shape (The petals tend to be longer). This one does have pretty wide petals (close to 3 cm wide). We named it "Robert's First" as this was the first besseae that I made that bloomed.

Enjoy!

PhragbesseaeRobertsFirst12132007.jpg

PhragbesseaeRobertsFirstwruler12132.jpg

PhragbesseaeRobertsFirstwithruler12.jpg

Robert

Very nice color. I like it.

You want pollen from the roundest petaled besseae I've ever seen? That would be a good cross... If I haven't killed it and it blooms again this year you are welcome to it.

some of the OZ crosses have consistently nice color. Smokin x haven and Bleeding heart x colossal.

Rob are all of them that saturated in color or is that a really colored one?

Rob are all of them that saturated in color or is that a really colored one?

There has been some variation in saturation of color, overall they have all been pretty dark, but this one was probably one of the better ones (And I already have my 4th generation going, with this one as a parent).

Robert

Very nice color. I like it.

You want pollen from the roundest petaled besseae I've ever seen? That would be a good cross... If I haven't killed it and it blooms again this year you are welcome to it.

Do you have a picture?

Dr., Is that a tetraploid?

Kyle

The OZ plants seem to be 'gangly', the OL flowers seem to have a flatter and fuller look. Diff color (redder) in general.

I was at the OZ for a week not too long ago. I don't know what you mean by 'gangly'. I was amazed at the fullness, size and color. Also the characteristics of the individual crosses. Some were larger and fuller, others redder. Some had both.

Not taking anything away from the OL bessea they are also look very nice but I have never been there. This one really has awesome color and saturation.

However I wouldn' chracterize the OZ Bess as "Gangly". I also find it hard to believe there are fuller looking bessea in that magnitude anywhere. They are very full and many are 10 cm + with over 3 cm petal thickness . Some are very flat, very round and very red. You just have to look through them. Which by the way takes about 4 days to do it well. lol

PICT0336.jpg

bessova.jpg

bessmaxoverdrive.jpg

besswkw-1.jpg

Here is one third flower over a day after it fell off.
besseae.jpg

Diff color (redder) in general.

I have not seen many OL Bess but this one sure is very red and saturated. It def has a different look than the OZ bess. Do you have any pics Robert of some of the best from the cross? I would like to get a better sense of your crosses to please my eye. Thanks

Latest posts

Back