Phrag. besseae 'Iccarus' (3N)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is from my besseae breeding. It is a cross between 'Rob's Choice' AM/AOS (4N) and 'Fire Wings' (2N). It isn't the largest besseae I have ever seen, but I love the deep saturated red color and the shape. It is 8.5 cm across and has 2.9 cm wide petals.

PhragbesseaeIcarrus-3N-81110.jpg

PhragbesseaeIcarrus-3N-plant81110.jpg

Robert

VERY BEAUTIFUL!

Rob, is the cloning done on Phrags when they are still in the protocorm stage? If so, then is it correct to say that it takes good breeding and then a bit of good luck to chose a quality plant to clone before you actually see it's flowers. If I'm right, then, you certainly did have some good fortune when you chose which protocorm to clone. This is a lovely plant!

VERY BEAUTIFUL!

Rob, is the cloning done on Phrags when they are still in the protocorm stage? If so, then is it correct to say that it takes good breeding and then a bit of good luck to chose a quality plant to clone before you actually see it's flowers. If I'm right, then, you certainly did have some good fortune when you chose which protocorm to clone. This is a lovely plant!

Very nice besseae!
I never saw any Phragmipedium clone yet and I'm wondering if the result will be nice and reliable. Or like other clones I’ve seen from different Genus and Family of plants, many of them are not suitable in comparison of a divisions from the mother plant.

VERY BEAUTIFUL!

Yes, you are correct, I was able to clone it at the Protocorm stage, so this is a little different compared to cloning say a Phal. In that case they take meristimatic tissue from a known plant, so they already know what the flowers will look like (usually it is an awarded plant), and make 1000's of identical plants from the one meristem. In this case I probably got about 12 to 15 seedlings to germinate from the cross of 'Rob's Choice' x 'Fire Wings'. Of these I was able to clone about 4 of the seedlings at the protocorm stage. I still did not get as many plants as when you would clone say a Phalaenopsis, but I was able to get about 100 to 200 plants from each protocorm. Was I lucky that I was able to clone this 'Iccarus', well yes there is some luck involved, but based on the parents (especially the 'Rob's Choice' which I still think to date is the best besseae out there) I don't think I could go wrong.

Robert

Of these I was able to clone about 4 of the seedlings at the protocorm stage. I still did not get as many plants as when you would clone say a Phalaenopsis, but I was able to get about 100 to 200 plants from each protocorm. Was I lucky that I was able to clone this 'Iccarus', well yes there is some luck involved, but based on the parents (especially the 'Rob's Choice' which I still think to date is the best besseae out there) I don't think I could go wrong.
Robert

So did the other 3 you cloned turn out this nice?

So did the other 3 you cloned turn out this nice?

Yes, they did, if I have time I will post some pictures. We did end up not getting as many plants out of the other clones, so those are not for sale.

Robert

Latest posts

Back