Phrag. besseae, how does it grow in nature?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

How does phrag besseae grow?

• lithophyte

Votes: 10 62.5%
  • terrestrial

Votes: 5 31.3%
  • epiphyte

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • other, please explain

Votes: 1 6.3%

• Total voters
gonewild said:
I think you might have the submerged portion % reversed in your understanding. 90% submerged would leave less than 1 inch out of water for a 6 inch deep pot. I'm afraid that would make the plant an aquatic.

That may well be true, but THAT is exactly what I was told.

Meriam Webster says that a lithophyte is a plant that grows ON a rock.
(capitalization added by myself for emphasis only.)

Lance, my fertilizing solution is 1 gallon R.O. water, 2 drops Superthrive, 1/2 teaspoon Protekt silicon formula, and 1/8 teasspoon bloom formula fertilizer. I pour it into each pot and then add enough to the tray to have the pot bottom 3/16th inch in solution and refresh it for at least 3 days. So they're getting it from the top and the bottom, they like it that way.:evil: I go around the growing area so a tray is fertilized at least once every two weeks. I am a bit leery about algae taking over so I will watch that and I'm ordering a TSD meter tonight. I found one for $16 but there's 2% error in the readings 0 - 999 ppm and if I'm at n</=50ppm I'm not sure it will be sufficient.
SlipperFan, by definition besseae are terrestrials. The only orchids I've seen that are true lypophites are some laeleas [sic] in Brazil.

Latest posts

Back