Phrag. besseae flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Well Howdy! I really enjoyed that show gnats and all.
I was introduced to Martin at least ten times and it got
funnier every time. Good memories.

Now on to your cooling system...…….

Well, both my cooler motors were frozen up when I went to fire them up late this past spring. a not unexpected occurrence since they usually only last a couple years. I had trouble finding a replacement/deciding what to go with (it seems every time I have to change coolers they are a different size and I have to alter the structure of the greenhouse), so as a temporary measure I went with one of those misting fans they make for outdoor areas in hot dry climates, which I had gotten a few years ago but never used. It blew onto the cooler growers both on the waist-high bench and the ground-level underbench (with the lower-light plants such as trichopilias and bolleas). The underbench area is essentially a sealed tunnel (plexi under the upper bench to prevent drips and sliding plexi doors on the GH side, with the glazing on the far side, and the floor below) with a fan at the far end pulling the blown-in cooler air through. Two fans in the vent openings of the inactive coolers pulled air into the GH and the AC unit which blows across the airstream was used on the hottest/most humid days. It seemed to work fairly well, though a few of the plants stayed a bit too wet. Some however, such as L.jongheana, showed more robust root growth than ever before, mostly mounted plants. I generally turned off the mister at dusk and back on in the morning. I will have to revisit this issue this coming spring.

Yay besseae flavum! Thanks for sharing. We have a lot of plants from you, trichopilias, etc, that are growing well but we have no idea how to get to flower. I need to spend some research time.

Hi tenman
Would you please tell what brand of misting fan you used. Moved to high desert and will have to do something. Thanks.
Miki White
It says 'WindChaser' on the front; not sure if that's the brand or the model.

Latest posts

Back