Phrag besseae first flowering

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

kiwi

Reaction score
This is a first flowering seedling of Phrag. besseae x sib ('Super Star' 4n x besseae var. flavum 'Rubber Duck'). My very first ever Phrag to flower. Deflasked in August 2018. Good colour and shape. This should give good sized flavum once I cross it back.IMG_2727.jpg IMG_2728.jpg

Apparently it isn’t 4N but Sam has said even if it is 3N some seed will germinate if it is sib crossed or selfed. I’m not up to speed with genetics 101.

Apparently it isn’t 4N but Sam has said even if it is 3N some seed will germinate if it is sib crossed or selfed. I’m not up to speed with genetics 101.

That sounds about right. Sibbing and selfing should work. You're basically "locked in" with 3N plants, which are essentially only going to hybridize with other 3N plants.

Stunning. Wow. Where do you procure those baskets and what is your medium?
Thanks. The mix I use is 6 parts seedling grade bark, 2 parts perlite or pumice and 1 part crushed oyster shell. I get my baskets from a local supplier. They are essentially baskets for aquatic plants.

Love the color!

Kiwi, do you keep other Phrags in heavy-duty baskets? Just curious about your basket media. Looks like a bunch of Paph roths behind.
I keep all of my Phragmipedium in baskets. Yes they are roths. Roths make up around 1/3 of my collection.

Nice one! I'm surprised the roots sticking straight out of the pot haven't dried up. Is it usually standing in water that deep?

Thanks. The mix I use is 6 parts seedling grade bark, 2 parts perlite or pumice and 1 part crushed oyster shell. I get my baskets from a local supplier. They are essentially baskets for aquatic plants.
Phragmipedium love oyster shell especially besseae, my besseae flavum loves it a lot.

Latest posts

Back