Phrag. besseae first bloom

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Hamlet

Reaction score
Hello everyone! I hope you’re all doing well.

So, according to my profile I was last here in June 2018, three years ago… What happened? Well, long story short, I’ve been very busy and most of my collection ascended to orchid heaven. I had to give my plants to family members for a while, and apparently my orchids didn't want to live without me and died. Of a collection of 50 or so plants (+ dozens of flask babies), I could save about 10, mostly smaller seedlings. Those plants are all I have now.

I still enjoy orchids, but I simply don’t have the time to take care of a collection anymore. I have not bought an orchid in years and won’t be buying one anytime soon. I’m looking to get back into the hobby some day, but it’s going to be years. So, I’m not really “back” and this will be my only thread for while, I just saw this nice surprise on my windowsill today and thought of this forum.

This is the only Phrag. besseae I have ever owned, and it just had its first bloom. I bought it as a small one-growth plant years ago, and it somehow survived the mass death of my collection, as well as the crazy hot summers of the past few years. It’s still a very compact plant but its first flower is very nice, and exactly 8cm wide. I hadn't noticed it was spiking so I didn't stake it. Maybe I should look at my plants more than once a week....

p6092401j1j1k.jpg

p6092413gdkg9.jpg

And another very small plant (one growth, 5cm pot) blooming for the first time, Paph. philippinense.

p2142079m9ukms.jpg

Thanks for looking & take care!

Back