Phrag. besseae f. flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Yeah, it seems like they are getting a little harder to find. I am hoping my next one will have a little larger bloom. This one was around 7cm.

They definitely prefer cooler temps. In summer our besseaes all grow as close to the evaporative cooler discharges as possible. Having 60% Aluminet shade cloth on the greenhouse from February through September helps as well
Tom, about what are your high day temps for them where they are? I’ve just moved mine up out of the light room that’s 82-84 right now, to my large east windows in my bathroom where high will probably be 76 this summer. Already, after a week, they seem to be peeking up. We’ll see how well they bloom.

We try to keep the day temps below 80F, but a lot depends on the outdoor humidity since we use evaporative cooling. On a 90F day with 60-70% humidity, it can go up to 85F for short periods of time and this does not seem to stress the plants. The large pine tree growing at the NW corner of the greenhouse shades a good portion of the bench with the besseaes once we go past noon. (see photo taken just past noon today. More and more of the west side of the gh gets shaded as the day progresses.)

Attachments

• IMG_3259.JPG
    IMG_3259.JPG
    455.6 KB · Views: 7
We try to keep the day temps below 80F, but a lot depends on the outdoor humidity since we use evaporative cooling. On a 90F day with 60-70% humidity, it can go up to 85F for short periods of time and this does not seem to stress the plants. The large pine tree growing at the NW corner of the greenhouse shades a good portion of the bench with the besseaes once we go past noon. (see photo taken just past noon today. More and more of the west side of the gh gets shaded as the day progresses.)
Thanks. Under 80 I can do in the bathroom. Hopefully eastern exposure will be enough light. Amazing, in less than a week in cooler temps, how much happier they are looking already. Thankfully!! I was well on my way to killing my second Jason Fischer (the first was from OL and killed me to lose). At least I might save the 3 looking so sad now. It was so strange to me how they would thrive, bloom, then decline, in the spring. Hope I’ve cracked the code. Thanks, I love this forum!!!

Tom, about what are your high day temps for them where they are? I’ve just moved mine up out of the light room that’s 82-84 right now, to my large east windows in my bathroom where high will probably be 76 this summer. Already, after a week, they seem to be peeking up. We’ll see how well they bloom.
Thanks so much for mentioning temperature. I hadn't considered that as an issue, and my greenhouse gets up into the high 80, low 90s pretty regularly in the summer. I will try making some changes on where my bessies spend their time during the summer and hope that helps!

Back