Phrag. besseae f. flavum

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

MaxC

Reaction score
I believe there was some moisture on the bloom while it was forming. I like the color and flattening out nicely on the good side. I am hoping the next bloom is not messed up. If next bloom is bad I will cut the spike and give the plant a much needed repot.

Attachments

• P1000840.JPG
    P1000840.JPG
    83.6 KB · Views: 67
  • P1000842.JPG
    P1000842.JPG
    119.6 KB · Views: 66
Bloom is cut. On a positive note, I just noticed another plant that is just putting up a spike so will have two shots to have a good flavum this spring.

Am I ever jealous of that flavum! I had one that bloomed
once beautifully and kicked the bucket. I donno why.
I've killed my share, usually after they get high AMs... In my experience they really don't like hot. Even Michigan summers are too hot, they often struggle a bit in August and make up for it under the lights in January (on the lowest shelf, near the floor).

Perhaps I'm cursed with bessese. I seem to have
a culture problem. Crosses do fine for me sometimes.
The species not so much. It surely does get very
hot here in the summer...damn!

I've killed my share, usually after they get high AMs... In my experience they really don't like hot. Even Michigan summers are too hot, they often struggle a bit in August and make up for it under the lights in January (on the lowest shelf, near the floor).
They definitely prefer cooler temps. In summer our besseaes all grow as close to the evaporative cooler discharges as possible. Having 60% Aluminet shade cloth on the greenhouse from February through September helps as well

Tom, Recognizing that our climates are very different, I’m curious about how much total shade you end up with and why you put it up so early? Thanks, Kate

Ya that plant looks nice! No crispy tips.

I got a small one for my birthday, a flavum. Using basic culture I’ve been successful with Besseae over last year.

Definite improvement... let's hope it opens up big and flat.

Attachments

• 20200518_100752.jpg
    20200518_100752.jpg
    75.7 KB · Views: 9
Tom, Recognizing that our climates are very different, I’m curious about how much total shade you end up with and why you put it up so early? Thanks, Kate
Hi Kate, Our light levels average 1,200 - 1,800 fc in mid-February after shade cloth application. The SW corner of the greenhouse is also shaded by a large pine tree and has the least amount of light. Some of the besseae habitats we visited in Ecuador had average light levels of less than 1,000 fc and some had light levels as high as 1,800.

I agree, I love the flavums. This was orginally from Orchid Zone. No clue when exactly it came from there and does not have an OZ tag. I have another one from OZ that's in spike and is 2-3 weeks away from blooming. This one needs a repot and torn as to divide it or air-layer and then eventually divide. Since the bloom is good I may just air-layer. New growths are coming up tightly which gives me hope I can wrangle in the climbing (pic attached).

Attachments

• 20200520_091131.jpg
    20200520_091131.jpg
    120.8 KB · Views: 20
Lovely lovely and I'm just eatin' up with envy Max. *head in hand*
They can't all look my longifolium. I love the back view with the green and yellow on the sepals.

Attachments

• 20200520_185436.jpg
    20200520_185436.jpg
    96.8 KB · Views: 17
  • 20200520_185413.jpg
    20200520_185413.jpg
    86.7 KB · Views: 15
Last edited:
Back