Phrag. besseae: Differences between wild types?

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Personally, i'd love to have your content in both a hard copy as well as a digital copy. Merging my digital journal with digital content for reference has always been a dream of mine... it's certainly very possible with today's technology, and ridiculous (at least to me) that we don't have a platform that makes it possible....

Think apple or amazon music where you can buy a track... we'd buy articles as they are available, updates to books with recent changes and discoveries...

Any investors with deep pockets listening?...

Great Photos! Thanks Olaf Gruß for showing this. Still try to find an antiquarian copy of the long version, but it's difficult. Threads like this probably won't lower the prices...

By the way, this Peru-Version from 1985 is extremely nice. And I shall call Franz Glanz if he has this 'Top Wössen 4n' for sale.

Olaf, have you considered Timber Press? I don't know anything about book publishing, only that Mary Gerritsen and Ron Parsons have their books published there. It would be wonderful if your book was available again and in an English language version.

Dear Chaunie, meanwhile also 2 other books About the genus were published, also when they don't include so many Pictures. Please wait another orchidfriend will publish soon another book about the genus with many habitatpictures.
I am working just this time for a book about Paphiopedilum, also with a lot of Pictures. Perhaps the first part will be published this year, but also (for you perhaps sadly in german). Another book About Phalaenopsis shall be published soon in english and chinese. It is redy for print. The last contro was made and now it must be produced.
Good luck Vox for getting an antiquarian copy. It is very difficult. Most of the people 'loved' my book. Perhaps we will find a possibility for electronic Publishing. Best greetings from the rainy and stormy Germany

Good luck Vox for getting an antiquarian copy. It is very difficult. Most of the people 'loved' my book.

Yes, seems so. There is not even a small path to it somewhere.
Interestingly the book is even rare in scientific libraries. After using the Karlsruher Virtueller Katalog I had to realize that it is to be found in German libraries only in the FU Berlin and available for lending.

You can get it also from the library of the German Orchid Society!

This is an "Amazonas" I recently got from Ecuagenera. Coloring is nowhere near what I was expecting, more a coral/orange than a red. Was this possibly mislabeled plant or just an atypical Amazonas, any insights?

Attachments

• 20200213_081534.jpg
    20200213_081534.jpg
    88.7 KB · Views: 30
  • 20200213_082228.jpg
    20200213_082228.jpg
    129.9 KB · Views: 30
Last edited:
Hi Max, I am unable to get into STF via my email. The color is typical besseae, remember the color lies in the fine hairs on the surface, not the back ground. A deep red besseae is rare and you will find a lot of the redder hybrids have a purple parent like schlimii or fischeri in them. Nice meeting you.

Thank you. Eric, are there also some besseae with pink coloring? I thought I saw an older post mentioning a pink besseae.

Vox, do you have a picture of your flowering Amazonas?

Vox, do you have a picture of your flowering Amazonas?

Sorry Max, till now it didn't flower for me. Good to have your photos. If my besseae Amazonas will flower, we might compare to watch for continuities of this form.

I'm wondering if these local forms offered by Ecuagenera are from seeds or if they are divisions. In last case they would be more single clones then local or regional types.

Sorry Max, till now it didn't flower for me. Good to have your photos. If my besseae Amazonas will flower, we might compare to watch for continuities of this form.

I'm wondering if these local forms offered by Ecuagenera are from seeds or if they are divisions. In last case they would be more single clones then local or regional types.

Vox and Max,

I’ve got a besseae ‘Amazonas’ from Ecuagenera as well; just biding my time until it decides to bloom. Will post photos, whenever that is!

I have seen red, orange, and yellow besseae, never pink. It's good to get the different varieties because they have different strengths, color, branching, holding multiple blooms, etc.

Latest posts

Back