Phrag besseae 'BBC #2'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
L

lienluu

Another first bloom from the latest batch of OZ besseaes. This is from 'Big Bob' x 'Colossal'

NS: 8.2cm
petal width: 2.8cm

BBC2-a.jpg

Wow, great form on this one! Is it small? I can't tell if it's the wide petals that just make it look like a stubby little guy.

Your photo, incidentally, looks very nicely exposed. Now, if you can just get the focal plane in the right place... :)

- Matt

Beautiful. Stunning, even.

Lien, do you have an SLR? If so, when you focus on something, does it look sharp? Most SLR's have the ability for the user to set the viewfinder to their own diopter needs. It should be a little button or knob beside the viewfinder. If you have that, first set the camera lens to focus at infinity (looks like an 8 on it's side), then look through the viewfinder and change the diopter settings until infinity (very distant object) looks sharp to your eyes. That may be why you are having trouble with focus.

SlipperFan said:
Beautiful. Stunning, even.

Lien, do you have an SLR? If so, when you focus on something, does it look sharp? Most SLR's have the ability for the user to set the viewfinder to their own diopter needs. It should be a little button or knob beside the viewfinder. If you have that, first set the camera lens to focus at infinity (looks like an 8 on it's side), then look through the viewfinder and change the diopter settings until infinity (very distant object) looks sharp to your eyes. That may be why you are having trouble with focus.

Hi Dot,

Yes, I have an SLR. it is an Canon EOS 30D with a macrolens.

I will try again tomorrow with your recommendation. Today, for the first time I took pictures on "M", instead of TV or AV and the results came out so much better, colour and ligthing wise.

Thanks,
Lien

lienluu said:
everything always looks so focused through the viewfinder but then blah.
That's why I think it may be that the viewfinder is not set to your eyes. I had to change the diopter setting on my Nikon for the same reason.

Let us know what happens, please.

Actually, M is for "manual." Which means you set everything manually: focus, aperture, and shutter speed.

SlipperFan said:
That's why I think it may be that the viewfinder is not set to your eyes. I had to change the diopter setting on my Nikon for the same reason.

Let us know what happens, please.

Should I do this using the macrolens that I use to take these photos or should I use the stock lens the camera came with?

Thanks for your help!
Lien

lienluu said:
Should I do this using the macrolens that I use to take these photos or should I use the stock lens the camera came with?

Thanks for your help!
Lien
Hmmm, that's interesting. Try it with both: Use the primary lens to set it up, then put on your macro, set it at infinity, and then look through it to see if infinity is sharp. If it's not, there may be a focus problem with the macro. Is it a Canon, also? Or another brand?

SlipperFan said:
Hmmm, that's interesting. Try it with both: Use the primary lens to set it up, then put on your macro, set it at infinity, and then look through it to see if infinity is sharp. If it's not, there may be a focus problem with the macro. Is it a Canon, also? Or another brand?

The lens is a Canon EF 100mm f/2.8 Macro USM Lens

To set the diopter focus on the viewfinder you can even do it with the lens off. Focus on the viewfinder brackets.

The softness of your image looks to me like very slight camera movement.

Are you using a tripod?
What was the shutter speed?
What was your f stop?
Was the flower absolutely still?

Ooh, when I squint that all comes into focus! That is a nice one! I'm having fun re-making hybrids with the new OZ besseae. The biggest problem is many pods abort on a single growth besseae, so I've only had a few take... maybe next year I'll get some more to set.

Latest posts

Back