Phrag. besseae ‘Carlisle’

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
How could I have missed this flower???!!!! It's gorgeous and the color just smacks me in the eye...WOW! The flower
also makes me a tad jealous. I can't grow besseae well at all. Donno why.

How could I have missed this flower???!!!! It's gorgeous and the color just smacks me in the eye...WOW! The flower
Hi Abax - thanks! This plant grew itself - as far as besseae go. The flower is great but I've been enjoying the foliage for a year. Ya'll can probably relate but I'm very much taken by this plant's foliage. It is also the first double I've had hang on for any length of time, about 2 days. Just checked photos and it was 4 days.
View attachment Bess double.JPG

I'm glad Tom K popped in, this is a seedling I bought from Fox Valley. Has to be the best $40 I've ever spent. I also bought a flavum from Tom that is blooming for the first time right now. Not fully.

I'd really like to find a flask of these. The color in these photos is pretty accurate as far as screens go, they're straight from the iphone for previous photos and these are from my camera. It has that electric besseae color, something between red and orange. I should have pulled the hair clips lol

Happy New Year to you all, and great growing in 2023
View attachment Bess backlit_5599.JPG

I dont know if it helps, but my two besseae hybrids just sit in a south facing window, near Niagara Falls, as far as latitude is concerned, and grow in clear pots in a tray,in bark.They just keep doing their thing, with minimal care, and twice a week watering.In the summer, I think, almost too much sun, but in the winter they grow nicely.

OK. There must be something off on the Facebook page. Sorry - I'll mind my own business from now on.
Just checked the Roehampton site and both bessaes got an AM so it seems

From the Roehampton site:

Two of our Phragmipedium besseae were awarded today! Both received an AM (Award Merit from American Orchid Society AOS) grown by myself at Roehampton Orchids.
1. Phrag besseae ‘Carlisle’
2. Phrag besseae ‘Superhe’Roe’

your location suggests you have slightly warmer climate and more intense light...so you need more shade cloth, and a evaporative swamp cooler near your phrags. Perhaps get a sacrificial Besseae hybrid, and stick it in the shadiest bench. Mine seem fairly heat tolerant, but dont react well to more intense light

Latest posts

Back