Phrag Barbra LeAnn 'Lipstick Lover'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

Orchid-fever

Reaction score
Hello Everyone,

I got this from Fox Valley orchids a few years ago at the Chicagoland orchid festival as a small seedling and this is its first bloom. It is Phrag Barbara LeAnn (d'alessandroi 'Alan's Gift' x fischeri 'Fox Valley') I am amazed at the very dark color & wide petals. Also it is large for the grex at about 8cm natural spread. Althought not shown the base of the leaves have a very dark red/purple pigmentation.

IMG_5885.jpg

Since it used dalessandroi, its technically not barbra leanne. And Tom Kalina has real dalessandrois.

That flower just help to provet that besseae and dalessandroi are distinct. dalessandroi has given different characteristics to the flower.

Looks better then any Barbra Leanne I've ever seen.

Kyle

a

I think I Need to appologize for misnaming this. The tag said Barbara LeAnn but after careful Examination I think that it is in Fact Phrag Elizabeth Castle (Hanne Popow x MDC), The interior of the pouch seems to have some heavy spotting related to sargentianum hybrids...I contacted The Vender and he also said it seemed to have some MDC in its lineage. I should also say that Tom Kalina of Fox Valley was very helpful and generous in this process. I have a blow up picture of the pouch...I would like to know what you all think. Thanks and sorry for the Mislabel.
IMG_5886.jpg

Ok, whew.
I didn't want to say anything until someone else did, but when I saw the photo yesterday, all I could think was, damn, that looks more like Jason Fischer (the color and pouch anyway) than Barbara LeAnn. I was sort of hoping Jason might chime in yesterday.

This makes much more sense with MDC in it and the size seems about right for Hanne as a parent.

NYEric said:
What do you mean "better" than any Barbara LeAnn? E. :confused:

I assume your refering to my response? I was saying that I prefer Barbara Leanne when made with dalessandroi. It is a better looking flower. Which makes sense, since this flower has turned out not to be barbara leanne.

Kyle

I haven't seen delAssendroi x fischeri. Is it registered? I don,t think the cross would be "better" just a different color and shape. The deep red of the plant in the photo shows it isn't Barbara LeAnn. The delAssenroi x fischeri cross would probably be lighter than Barbara LeAnn because the delAssendroi would impart orange to the cross instead of the red of besseae. "Better" OK diff strokes for diff folks. E.

Back