Phrag. Barbara LeAnn

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

SlipperFan

Addicted
Reaction score
This is the second flower from it's first blooming. The seedling was selected by Jason Fischer -- one of the ones I purchased as the result of winning the Name the Cochlopetalums contest some time ago.

Thanks, Jason!

I love the fuzziness of it. The color is pretty close -- a lovely rose-color.
Phrag. Barbara LeAnn [3N] (besseae ‘Rob’s Choice’ AM/AOS [4N] x fischeri)
Phrag_BarbaraLeAnn.jpg

Phrag_BarbaraLeAnn-close.jpg

That one turned out very nice. In fact, this is the best Barbara LeAnn cross I've ever seen. Each one so far has been impressive!

Thanks, everyone.

I've not noticed a fragrance, but I'll check at different times of the day.

As for giving it a clonal name, I'll wait to see what the second blooming is like. The plant is very small yet, and I'd like to see more growths. Also, the dorsal is a bit off-center, and not quite even in color (look at the right edge). What is interesting to me is that this is the second bloom -- the first one was a disaster. One of the petals was stuck to the pouch, which was really malformed. I almost broke off the stem, but then I saw a second bud.

Another interesting this is, when I took the photo, the flower had been open for about 3 days, and the petals were a bit curved back. This morning, they are quite flat!

So we'll see what happens. In any case, I really love it!

Looks Great Dot!

It is always nice to see one of my "Babies" all grown up and in bloom! (I am the one who made the cross about 4 years ago). I think these are the first "triploid" Barbara LeAnn's (made with a tetraploid besseae) that are out there.

Robert

SlipperFan said:
Thanks, everyone.

I've not noticed a fragrance, but I'll check at different times of the day.

As for giving it a clonal name, I'll wait to see what the second blooming is like. The plant is very small yet, and I'd like to see more growths. Also, the dorsal is a bit off-center, and not quite even in color (look at the right edge). What is interesting to me is that this is the second bloom -- the first one was a disaster. One of the petals was stuck to the pouch, which was really malformed. I almost broke off the stem, but then I saw a second bud.

Another interesting this is, when I took the photo, the flower had been open for about 3 days, and the petals were a bit curved back. This morning, they are quite flat!

So we'll see what happens. In any case, I really love it!

I would say FCC, if it is up to me. (but of couse it is never up to me)

Drorchid said:
Looks Great Dot!

It is always nice to see one of my "Babies" all grown up and in bloom! (I am the one who made the cross about 4 years ago). I think these are the first "triploid" Barbara LeAnn's (made with a tetraploid besseae) that are out there.

Robert
Well, thank you, Robert. You certainly made excellent parental choices! Is 'Rob's Choice' named after you???

SlipperFan said:
Well, thank you, Robert. You certainly made excellent parental choices! Is 'Rob's Choice' named after you???[/QUOTEs]

No, actually it was named after another Robert who used to work here at Orchids Limited. You may recognize his name from another primary Phrag hybrid: Phrag. Robert Palm. The clone of Phrag besseae was also named after him. One day when he walked into the greenhouse it was blooming for the first time, and it stood out between the rest of the Phrag besseae's, as it's flowers were about twice as large as the rest. Later it was shown to be a tetraploid, I believe there is another thread on this forum where we have posted some pictures of 'Rob's Choice'.

Robert

Latest posts

Back