Phrag. Barbara LeAnn 'Bloody Mary'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
Reaction score
Not 100% open yet, but one of our favorite primary Phrag. hybrids. This plant was in bloom this morning in a very warm greenhouse (89F). We've had a prolonged spell of above normal temps and very high humidity here, and the color is not as saturated as it would be during a winter blooming. The evaporative cooler is also not as efficient so we end up out in the greenhouse lightly misting the plant leaves manually several times a day.

Attachments

• IMG_3408.JPG
    IMG_3408.JPG
    138.3 KB · Views: 29
  • IMG_3409.JPG
    IMG_3409.JPG
    101.9 KB · Views: 25
Very nice.
At what RH % do you see a reduction in efficiency. Do you have a wet wall or a swamp cooler?
Swamp cooler. We start seeing a difference in efficiency when the dew point reaches 55-60 degrees F. Light misting helps, but you want to avoid soaking the plants and subjecting them to high temps as it invites bacterial rot.

Geez, I thought my gh was hot!!! It's been smotheringly hot and
humid here as well. My temps. hit 80F regularly even with cooler
and wetting down the floor two or three times a day. Oh, richerii
'Red Marsh' is blooming beautifully with three flowers so far. Thank
you, my friend.

What should I say... I had the last 7 days a temp range of 84 F - 91 F, on the top shelf it is even higher and sommer hasn't even started yet...
I guess that is the reason why Prags don't work with me.

80's HAHAHHAHHA! that would be a cool day in NYC. Yay besseae hybrids! Thanks for sharing. I know how hot it can get in Tom's area! :eek:
This was in the Naperville greenhouse. The dew point was 77F so the evaporative cooling efficiency was very low. Back to the lower 80's outside temps now, so a great improvement. Able to keep the gh temp in the mid 70's today. Nothing seems the worse for wear with the higher than normal temps for the last couple days, but I think it would be a different story if we had to deal with the problem for an extended period of time. I can't imagine what the temperatures were in my old area at Hausermann's. Had to be at least mid 90's.

Latest posts

Back