Phrag April Fool 'Carly'

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
C

Chuck

aprilfoolplant.jpg

aprilfool.jpg

Wow! I haven't seen a ton of phrags but that has got to be the prettiest phrag hybrid I've ever seen, no kidding! It looks so... yummy, like candy or bubblegum.

What's the leaf span on the plant? I'm seriously thing about getting one if I can find one...

Yay besseae hybrids! This cross is not that common, and as you can see is a big plant. It would be nice to see Phrag Foolerisch remade! :D

Beautiful! How are you growing it? What is the wood behind it?

Hi,

This plant is a climber. There is a thread from a while ago started by TDT (Tracey from Saskatoon) that discusses how her besseae is grown.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27450

The culture and potting is the same for this plant. The basic media is a fine bark mix or a mix of 50% sphag and 50% sponge rock but there is a thin layer of sphagnum moss in the front to stop the mix from being washed out of the hardware cloth in the front. It is the same culture that I use for any besseae or besseae hybrid (cool, moist and intermediate light) trying to compensate for the fact that some of them, or maybe all of them, like to climb. I can go into more detail if you want.

Chuck

Growing system

Hi,

This plant is a climber. There is a thread from a while ago started by TDT (Tracey from Saskatoon) that discusses how her besseae is grown.

http://www.slippertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=27450

The culture and potting is the same for this plant. The basic media is a fine bark mix or a mix of 50% sphag and 50% sponge rock but there is a thin layer of sphagnum moss in the front to stop the mix from being washed out of the hardware cloth in the front. It is the same culture that I use for any besseae or besseae hybrid (cool, moist and intermediate light) trying to compensate for the fact that some of them, or maybe all of them, like to climb. I can go into more detail if you want.

Chuck

Thanks Chuk.

Would love to see some piics of set up you have to grow it.

Very impresive the results you are having with this growing system, congratulations.

Do you keep it dump all the time?

Thanks.

Jose

Thanks Chuk.

Would love to see some piics of set up you have to grow it.

Very impresive the results you are having with this growing system, congratulations.

Do you keep it dump all the time?

Thanks.

Jose

I water it with rainwater every two days so it is always damp.

Chuck

Sure, I can post a few photos.

This is the container. I prefer transparent ones but others work just fine.

img0767w.jpg

A plant ready to pot up. I bought this plant with the second growth on a long rhizome with no roots. It was inexpensive because of that.

img0773tl.jpg

The plant potted using half chopped sphag and half large sponge rock. A second piece of hardware cloth is cut to fit.

img0781uc.jpg

Hardware cloth fitted and secured.

img0782eb.jpg

Planting is finished.

img0786mp.jpg

A plant that has been growing for a while.

img0798ne.jpg

Several besseaes in my greenhouse.

img0801pr.jpg

Very nice April Fool !!

What an interesting way of growing besseae... Maybe I should try it, although my only one doen't want to climb.

Can you tell me about repotting of your plants? Is it more difficult than in pot?

The nice thing about this method of growing climbers is when the new growth emerges and climbs, simply add another piece of hardware cloth and some new media. Sometimes the growth have to be "adjusted" in the container to get them to hang out the front but that usually happens naturally. For many plants you can get 5, 6, or 7 growths before you need to repot. Several times new growths have started from the location of several year old growths giving nice large plants. I think the biggest advantage to this method is that you can get healthy multi-growth plants which produce more flowers often with branching spikes. Repotting is simple. Just remove the hardware cloth and pull the plant out of the container. Clean the plant, divide if you want and repot. For one plant, Phrag Jersey, which I like and has some sentimental value, I built a taller container and moved the plant without dividing.

Chuck

Latest posts

Back