Phrag. Apollo 'Christmas Eve' (Fritz Schomburg x kovachii)

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.
D

Drorchid

This is the the third Phrag. Apollo that we have bloomed and is a second generation Phrag. kovachii hybrid, and is a cross between Phrag. Fritz Schomburg 'Pink Princess' and kovachii 'Tesoro Morado'. The first two out of this cross were kind of disappointing as they were kind of pink in color, as I was hoping that this cross would have inherited more of the purple tones from its kovachii parent and grandparent (after all this cross is 75 % kovachii). Finally the third seedling got the colors we were hoping for. It is still opening, but I was too excited to wait to show you the flower...The shape looks like a minature kovachii flower, but more important is the color on this seedling. It is really amazing! The color is hard to describe and hard to capture on a photo, especially as it is a cloudy day here on this Christmas Eve morning in Minnesota, but I would describe the color as heavily saturated, and in-between Burgundy Red, Magenta and Tyrian Purple (in-case you are wondering what Tyrian Purple is:http://colors.findthedata.com/l/300/Tyrian-Purple). On the photo below, the color shows up more burgundy, in real life it is closer to the Tyrian Purple color. I think it is a color we haven't seen before in any Phragmipedium hybrid, so that is kind of cool, and promising! The plant is still relatively small, so the flower size is also still small (7 cm across), but I think as the plants mature, the flower size will increase..

Anyway here is a picture of the flower and plant (I will post more pictures on Monday...):

Have a Merry Christmas everyone!
Robert

2nd gen kovachii hybrids

At last we see a 75% kovachii hybrid and one that is going to be very dark. Very interesting. I am really looking forward to seeing the fully open flower
David

Yay besseae hybrids!! :p The Devil made me do it!
looks like a baby Pk, hopefully easier to grow, congrats. I am curious to see what the other attempts at a purple color, x schlimii, x fischeri, etc come out as.

looks like first generation kovachii hybrids produce size, but the second generation gives the color. this is truly something new and different!

That is spectacular!!
I would have never imagined to have kovachii hybrids when I first heard of its discovery!

Sent from my BlackBerry Bold 9900 using Tapatalk

Latest posts

Back