Phrag andreettae Round 2!

Slippertalk Orchid Forum

Help Support Slippertalk Orchid Forum:

This site may earn a commission from merchant affiliate links, including eBay, Amazon, and others.

xiphius

Reaction score
Bloomed for the first time about 2 years ago. Took a year off of flowering, but has been growing pretty aggressively. Throwing out two new growths every year.

First flowering pictures:
https://www.slippertalk.com/threads/phragmipedium-andreettae.46163/

Unfortunately, I missed the first couple flowers and caught this before it was fully open. This particular plant seems to self pollinate every flower. I tried to flask one of the pods last time, but wasn't quite fast enough. This time, I missed the first pod, which has already opened, but am keeping a close eye on the second one and am hoping to try and flask it in a week or so. Fingers crossed!

IMG-4998.JPG
IMG-4999.JPG

Nice. I have not had luck with this species. What temperature are you growing it in?

It's being grown in a basement. So fairly cool. It seems to grow best during the winter, and always starts flowering for me in late winter, with blooms open sometime in the earlyish spring. Lowest temps probably drop into the high 50s F during the winter. Daytime probably hovers in the high 60s/low 70s. On the hottest days in summer it probably gets to low 80s during the day, and hovers somwhere in the 70s at night.

50's - not in our house!! Yikes!

Lol. The house doesn't get into the 50's. Just the basement. There is a wood furnace down there, but the plant room is on the other side. The heating ducts run along the basement ceiling. So the heat rises through the floor into the house above - thus, the basement itself stays fairly cool (except in the immediate vicinity of the furnace). I'm in zone 7, so our coldest days/nights are in the single digits (not often, but it can happen).

Interestingly, it doesn't seem to get cold enough for my micranthum to want to flower. The only time it put up buds was a couple years ago when I was moving and it got exposed to near freezing temperatures. The buds blasted when it warmed up through. Still trying to figure out how to get that one cold enough to get it in bloom. Certainly grows like crazy.

Last edited:
I just bloomed my first one, two. Our low temps never get below the mid-60s. It’s under fairly heavy shade and gets a lot of water.

Attachments

• 68EAE5D8-E06B-41FD-85ED-6A9DC2A04348.jpeg
    68EAE5D8-E06B-41FD-85ED-6A9DC2A04348.jpeg
    19.5 KB · Views: 5
  • 00A4B644-2C70-432E-95BB-178E0CFBD9E9.jpeg
    00A4B644-2C70-432E-95BB-178E0CFBD9E9.jpeg
    34.6 KB · Views: 6
Flasked one of the pods (made two flasks). It hadn't split open yet, but the seeds looked very ripe (all black). Hopefully something comes out of this :p. I'm not very good at flasking, still just playing around with stuff. I didn't bother to take a look at the seed under a microscope, so I have no idea how fertile the self-selfed pod will be. It will be a surprise. Fingers crossed!

Attachments

• IMG-5118.JPG
    IMG-5118.JPG
    181.7 KB · Views: 4

Latest posts

Back